Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

USS Indianapolis found.

Article about: Special research vessel the Petrel, with her crew of 16, has found the long lost USS Indianapolis. The heavy cruiser went down on July 30th 1945, between the islands of Guam and Leyte in the

?

Default USS Indianapolis found.

Special research vessel the Petrel, with her crew of 16, has found the long lost USS Indianapolis. The heavy cruiser went down on July 30th 1945, between the islands of Guam and Leyte in the Philippine Sea, after being struck by a Japanese submarine. It was and remains the worst disaster at sea in US Naval history. The USS Indianapolis was returning from her secret mission to deliver parts for the atomic bomb later used on Hiroshima. Of a near 1,200 crew, only 316 were rescued - many were killed after the ship went down, dying in the shark infested waters. Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, led the civilian research team and described the discovery as "truly humbling".

Further details and images in the BBC article below:

Lost WW2 warship USS Indianapolis found after 72 years - BBC News

Thanks for posting that
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

That is fantastic news. Thank You Carl for posting this.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

22 survivors are still alive. What a moment for them...the emotion must be truly something...

God bless the men of the USS Indianapolis. Sad and unfortunate as the story is, i will forever remember it, from this clip from jaws. How many people who have seen that movie realize the truth behind the scene? Perhaps now their story will be known. May they rest in peace. Thanks for sharing Carl.

Brian

https://www.google.com/search?q=jaws...obile&ie=UTF-8

The modern world, owes so much to the brave men of this ship, in enabling the 'End' to the War.
    Regards
    Paul

I remember seeing an interview with one of the survivors who with other sailors hung onto floating debris in the water for hours while sharks periodically would surface and snatch another victim. Horrific experience.

Final closure for many of the families...

Thank you for posting this..

Smitty