Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Villers-Bocage Then & Now......

Article about: Just spent a most enjoyable week in Normandy, with V-B as our 'local' town. As has been said many times, there's not much to see. But if you have a good selection of books the 'Wittmann' loc

That firefly the road favours the Tiger if it was over the rise it would almost be in the hull down position with the firefly advancing up the hill really appreciate this thread Then & Now.

?

I visit VB at least three times a year Guding a Panzers in Normandy Tour when we cover the Battle in detail . Certainly the descriptions of where Wittmanns Tiger was knocked out differ greatly and one of the most exchaustively researched accounts account by Dan Taylor puts that place as being near to the D6 Tilly junction not the location suggested by Agte and the recent Heimdal production.

Pat Dyas was actually in a Cromwell as were most of A Sq 4 CLY and the HQ Tanks , the only Shermans were at point 213 or with B Sq , Sgt Stan Lockwood for exapmle who stopped Wittmans advance through VB . The only other Sherman in VB initially was a Sherman OP Tank from 5 RHA.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Either way despite what AFV Pat (I was going off the video of the interview with Pat) was in the cold hard fact is that he faced Wittmanns Tiger at a 100yds range and was completely outclassed by Witmanns gunner Bobby Woll who was a veteran (I think he was awarded the knights cross pretty rare for a gunner apparently.)
    Pat was lucky to have survived the 88mm hit.

?

Quote by CINDERSII View Post
    Either way despite what AFV Pat (I was going off the video of the interview with Pat) was in the cold hard fact is that he faced Wittmanns Tiger at a 100yds range and was completely outclassed by Witmanns gunner Bobby Woll who was a veteran (I think he was awarded the knights cross pretty rare for a gunner apparently.)
    Pat was lucky to have survived the 88mm hit.
    Another of the VB myths that Bobby Woll was his Gunner , No evidence exists that Woll was at VB on the 13/6/1944 . Pat Dyas backed off the main road to escape the advancing Tiger and when it passed could have put a shot into the Tigers flank , however his gunner was out tof the Cromwell abluting at the time , Pat then reorganised his crew and pulled out into the street hoping to hit the Tiger in the rear but by then Witmann had turned round after his duel with Lockwoods Firefly and was heading back up the street when the two tanks met head on , the Cromwell standing no chance against the Tiger .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Lightbulb

The 'Bobby Woll' myth stems, I think, from Paul Carell's account in the 60s and it is now generally agreed that Woll was certainly not at V-B. His 'they think they've won already' quote is also very likely imaginative and lives on - repeated most recently in Antony Beevor's book.

There is indeed a lot of confusion as to where Wittmann's attack started from and, with no Kriegsberichter handy, it will now probably be argued ad infinitum. Sadly, the development of the AutoRoute has altered the immediate area......finding the remaining bit of the Ancienne Route did at least bring me some of the 'battlefield atmosphere' that I'm always seeking. Somehow, standing in the middle of a modern roundabout (although possibly more accurate) just didn't do it for me !

?

Your quire correct Martin thew myth probably came from Carrel as did the quote , as you say repeated by Beevor as well as Wittmann returning to VB in the afternoon for the second attack by Mobius's 1 Kompanie . For an author writing in 2014 those errors are inexcusable and how the myths are still beleived is beyond me .

I like Beevor's previous work Stalingrad / Berlin but his Normandy book i'm afraid is a pretty poor effort for someone of his talents that brought nothing knew to the study of the Battle of Normandy . I can only conclude that he employed some very average researchers !

The Battlefield has been changed by the Autoroute on the approach to point 213 but around the Hill is pretty much the same although the actual position of the Tigers prior to the attack is difficult to aceratin on the Anciente route .

1st July 1916

Great thread. Thank You. Was in Normandy/Belgium 4 years ago. Must get back !

?

Nice shot Martin....

Great picture!

Thumbs up

Carlo - that is pure genius !

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast