Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Villers-Bocage Then & Now......

Article about: Just spent a most enjoyable week in Normandy, with V-B as our 'local' town. As has been said many times, there's not much to see. But if you have a good selection of books the 'Wittmann' loc

My visit to Saumur Tank Museum.. the highlight?

This Tiger..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Villers-Bocage Then & Now......   Villers-Bocage Then & Now......  

Lightbulb

I keep promising myself I'll get there....one of these days !

Will be going there for about half a day when I am on holiday at the beginning of July. Looking forward to it.

When you stand next to the Tiger and see it in those colours, surely it is like going back in time.

This is what our troops saw, and this is what awaits them:

The 88mm gun KwK 36 L/56.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Villers-Bocage Then & Now......  

If I ever get the chance I'll be back there like a shot, absolutely loved it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Villers-Bocage Then & Now......   Villers-Bocage Then & Now......  

?

Luckily i get to go Three times a year , Last time i was there they had just got this original Sherman DD out !

Villers-Bocage Then & Now......
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I had a little "mooch" myself when at Saumur, just a little "I'm lost" walk..

Hoping to see any hidden gems?

I found this..

I will be visiting Villers-Bocage the end of September, any tips ?

Lightbulb

Pretty much as in my first posts of this thread - to really 'do' V-B two books are essential ( Daniel Taylor's 'Villers Bocage Through The Lens' and the Deprun/Joualt 'Villers-Bocage - Autopsie d'une Bataille' ). The latter ( published by Heimdal ) is particularly useful to pinpoint actual locations throughout the town.

As with a lot of WW2 locations, many people drive through saying 'There's nothing to see' . I always visit a battlefield having read as much as I can ; my imagination does the rest. Much of V-B itself was rebuilt following almost total destruction in WWII and it can be hard to orient yourself - but Point 213 and the Ancienne Route de Caen where the Wittmann action started are still quite recognizable and, to me anyway, have a very powerful atmosphere.

Enjoy your visit - as a bonus, the main street of V-B contains several nice cafes and bars where you can relax over a coffee or beer, and imagine 88mm shells flying down the street in front of you !

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    I was in Caen a couple of months ago, and didn't have time to see Villers Bocage.

I was told there wasn't any thing really to see..

Nice "Then & Now" picture
    To me its not about whether there is anything to see as it were, its simply just being there !!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast