Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.

Article about: very interesting Ade , i never knew about this cemetry ! ps. a striking family resemblence there in connor i bet he loves it in your collecting room cheers Al

Default Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.

Hi Guys, at the weekend I will be visiting the German Military cemetery located at Cannock Chase, UK. This is the main location for all German military burials from both World Wars.

If anyone wants any special photos taking of any particular grave, please drop me a line and I will endevour to take some pics for you.

I will certainly take some general pics in order to do a thread on the forum.

Kriegsgräberstätten | Stadt im Detail

Cheers, Ade,

Default Re: Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.

Hi Ade,
    You'll enjoy your trip up the chase this weekend, it's a beautiful setting at the soldatenfriedhof, set in a shallow valley with a few birch and pine trees scattered around. It's not far from where i live, and i've been drawn to it many times, when a quite few hours have been required. It sort of puts things in perspective, and is strangely calming...you'll see what i mean!

Whilst there, keep your eyes peeled for the graves of Field Marshal and Pour le Merite holder Ernst Busch, and SS-General Maximilian von Herff of Warsaw ghetto infamy.

Regards, Ned.

P.s I wont tell you where they are, just so you can run around like Eli Wallach to the tune 'The ecstasy of gold'!! The similarity is remarkable!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.   Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

As an addition to this and for anyone's info who may be inteerested i have a list off all the Ritterkreuztrager who are buried in Cannock Chase plus photos from a visit i did for the OdR a few years ago,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Guys, I had a really pleasant visit. I took my Grandson Connor with me, who is aged 7. He has been with me a few times before and now he is a bit older I gave him the task of finding the eight graves which people had asked about. (Two sets of aircrew) He really enjoyed his mission! Rather than look up the location in the visitors guide book, we just looked at every WW2 grave.

First off, here is a pic of the entrance sign with Connor.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.  

Bronze figure, photo by Connor
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.  

These are the only WW1 pics we took.

Here we have the 4 mass graves of the four WW1 Zeppelins shot down over Great Britian in the First World War.

Note they are all Naval personnel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.   Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.  

Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.   Visiting the German Military Cemetery, UK.  

Here is the stone which gives the totals of the burials at the site. Note how the figures have been revised over the years.

Not all the soldiers who lie here are German nationals. There are many Ukrainians. Here is a plaque to their memory.

Not ideal to photograph due to the plastic cover over it.

Here is a shot of the Cross. The graves to be seen here are actually WW1 era. Many died from the Flu outbreak of 1918.

Now some general pics looking around the site. The grave markers which lie flat seem to be aircrew in general.

By the way, each grave hold two soldiers. But almost each stone is marked front and back, so for each stone there are four men.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast