Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Volgograd 1994

Article about: A small sampling of photos from 1994 visit to Volgograd...Interesting of these photos are the german guns under a shed. 7.5 and I think 120 mm guns that have been left exposed for a long tim

Default Volgograd 1994

A small sampling of photos from 1994 visit to Volgograd...Interesting of these photos are the german guns under a shed. 7.5 and I think 120 mm guns that have been left exposed for a long time finally put under a shed. We were told that these guns had been on a commune outside the city for many many years. Next to them were s shell casing that could only belong to the giant gun Dora. How it got to Volgograd I cant answer as Dora was sent to the Crimea...I dont think it served around Stalingrad. I think she was 880mm...no matter this shell could only belong to her. I...am pictured next to the Guninin flour mill...with the nebelwerfer. I returned the next year and the laucher was gone. The truck is a Studebaker 6x6 if I am not mistaken. Most Soviet displays of the ww2 Katusha use either post ww2 trucks or a model of soviet truck that few were built. Most Soviet Katushas were mounted on US trucks...and the old soviet trucks look like models built by ex Henry Ford machinery as Stalin paid 10,000,000 dollars for a outdated Ford plant...moving both it and Ford workers in the 1930s to build and run it. Almost all these US citizens disappeared into the Gulag during the great terror.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volgograd 1994   Volgograd 1994  

Volgograd 1994  

?

Default Re: Volgograd 1994

Looks like a PAK 38 50mm , man you were there 6 years before me when we found a PAK 40 75mm in the garden of a house in one of the outlying villages !!

i love that photo of the Nebelwerfer just lying in the doorway of the Flour mill , i hope it didn't just go for scrap !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Default Re: Volgograd 1994

Can't believe we helped Stalin. He was the worst yet
    Last edited by Paul D; 09-08-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Change