Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Walking the somme

Article about: Hi all I,m off the the Somme in a few weeks time again for some good old field walking as i have for the past 10 years, you cant beat it can you. Does anyone have any off the beaten track si

?

Default Walking the somme

Hi all
    I,m off the the Somme in a few weeks time again for some good old field walking as i have for the past 10 years, you cant beat it can you.

Does anyone have any off the beaten track sites they could recomend, rarley walked or any interesting features that are unknown????

PS: great site, just joined up, i may well post pics of my Somme relic collection shortly

Default Re: Walking the somme

Hello Andy,
    Welcome to the forum, I'm afraid I cant help with sites but Id love to see your finds collection when you have time to upload the pics.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Hi Andy,

I've been visiting the Somme for about 20 years and have walked a lot of the Battlefield , Let me know here you have done before and i might be able to suggest somewhere new !!

cheers

paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Hi Paul
    I tend to walk b Hamel along to serre, shefield park. Around loch crater, mash valley etc. Montauban, flers (where I stay) mostly all the usual suspects really around the 1st July front lines where relics are few and far between these days.

?

Ok mate here are a few that we've done that are great walks , Blightly Valley from the Cemetery alongside and through Authuille Wood, up to Lonsdale then over the Leipzig Salient to Thiepval this is a good 1st July advance walk .

Another one where you can still find quite a few relics ( we found a German body in 2006 ) is from Courcelette towards Grandcourt through the infamous Boom ravine , not many folk go this way !!!

One of my favourites is from High Wood over the fields towards Eaucourt L'Abbaye and then onto the Butte de Warlencourt this takes in some of the October fighting in appalling conditions , another good one for relics , takes you to where Roland Boys Bradford won the VC and also where his HQ was in the quarry near to the Butte,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings