Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

War Memorials

Article about: Here are some of the Pozieres Cemetery and Memorial also on the Somme again, taken last autumn...... The walls surrounding the cemetery are covered with the names of those who are missing.

Having returned from an 11-day Baltic Sea cruise yesterday, I can now add images of two more well-known German memorials to this thread. The photographs were taken from deck 14 of our cruise ship as we were passing through the Kiel Fjord and heading out to the open sea.

The U-Boot-Ehrenmal [U-Boat Memorial] at Möltenort in Heiligendorf near Kiel. The memorial was inaugurated on 9 June 1930; due to structural faults, it had to be re-built in 1938. It is the official memorial site for the German submariners of WW1, WW2 and the post-war years who lost their lives in the line of duty. Their names are inscribed on 115 bronze plaques. Note the U-Boat badge below the eagle; during the Third Reich, a swastika was affixed in this place:

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

The Marine-Ehrenmal [Navy Memorial] in Laboe. Built from 1927 to 1936, this was originally the memorial for the German navy members who were killed in WW1. It is now dedicated to the memory of all seamen from all nations who lost their lives at sea. Since 1972, the WW2 era U-Boat U 995 - now a museum ship - has found its permanent home near the foot of the 72-meter-high tower:

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

Wunderbar my friend. I must visit the Uboot one day.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Han
    ?

Default The Statue of Brothers

This is upper part of the Statue of Brothers at the 'War Memorial of Korea' in Seoul.

This statue based on true story during battle of Chi-ak hill(in Wonju, Gangwon-do, South Korea) during Korean War.

War Memorials
    War Memorials

South Korean officer who shoulder a rifle is 2nd lieutenant 'Gyu-Cheol Park', and North Korean soldier is his younger brother 'Yong-Cheol Park'.

They originally lived in north korea. But older brother Gyu-Cheol has defected to South Korea, and war has begun on 25. June, 1950. For that reason Gyu-Cheol has served at south korean army. He distinguished himself and promoted to 2nd lieutenant. One day he had a strange dream that he crying in front of his mother who yell at him. Next day, during the attack(during the battle of Chiak hill) Gyu-Cheol has found an enemy (north korean) soldier who prone upon the ground and pointed his rifle at him and said "I'll not shoot you if you don't run". Then that north korean soldier look up, and Gyu-Cheol has recognized directly that enemy soldier is his younger brother, Yong-Cheol. And they embraced each other on the spot. After battle, 2nd lieutenant Gyu-Cheol return to base with his younger brother.

This story is really touching and mirror the truth of Korean War.

+ 'TaeGukGi: Brotherhood Of War(2003)' is based on this story. ('TaeGukgi' is mean the national flag of Korea.) Original korean title of this movie is 'with uncasing the Taegukgi'.

I attach explanation about this statue of War Memorial of Korea -

"The Statue of Brothers is an 18 meter wide and 11-meter high symbol of the Korean War. It consists of the upper part, lower part and inner part. The upper part of the statue depicts a scene where a family's older brother, an ROK officer, and his younger brother, a North Korean soldier, meet in a battlefield and express reconciliation, love, and forgiveness. The lower tomb-shaped dome was built with pieces of granite collected from nationwide locations symbolizing the sacrifices made by our patriots. The crack in the dome stands for the division of Korea and the hope for reunification. Objects inside the dome include a mosaic wall painting that expresses the spirit of the Korean people to overcome the national tragedy and a map plate of the 16 UN Allied Nations that dispatched troops to the war. The links of iron chain on the ceiling signify the unbreakable bonds of a unified Korea."

source of image -
    http://blog.daum.net/kimjaegon/15887853
    소통을 잘해야 운수가 대통? : [PHOTO] 6·25ì*„쟁 치악ê³*ê°œ ì*„투에서 만난 남과 북의 ‘형ì*œì˜ 상’
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Memorials   War Memorials  

I spent the Easter weekend in Dresden, where I took these snaps of the Red Army Memorial, dedicated to the fallen soldiers of the 5th Guards Army.

Commissioned by the Soviet Military Administration as the first memorial to Soviet soldiers to be erected on German soil, work on the project was begun very soon after the end of WW2, and it was already inaugurated on 25 November 1945:

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

In New Zealand every city and almost every town has a War Memorial. Recently while visiting Hamilton, a small city in the upper North Island I visited the Hamilton Memorial Gardens where there is a commemorative service every ANZAC day. The following photos give an idea and the several conflicts that are remembered.War MemorialsWar MemorialsWar MemorialsWar MemorialsWar MemorialsWar MemorialsWar MemorialsWar MemorialsWar Memorials

Part 2 from Hamilton Memorial Gardens

War MemorialsWar MemorialsWar MemorialsWar MemorialsWar Memorials

Rather nice classic car parked next to the Memorial.

These may not be war memorials in the strict sense of the term, but I do think they fit in here.

During WW1, countless Kriegsnagelungen [lit. "war nailings"] took place all over Germany and Austria-Hungary.

For those unfamiliar with the practice of these propaganda- and fundraising measures, some info may be found here: Nail Men - Wikipedia

Quite a few examples still exist today. Here are two from Upper Bavaria, both utilizing the heraldic symbols from the respective city's coat-of-arms:

The "Eiserne Rose" ["Iron Rose"] in Rosenheim, photographed in 2016 (I have already shown this on another thread):

War Memorials

The lion on the gate of the Rathaus [town hall] in Wasserburg am Inn, photographed today:

War Memorials War Memorials

For the benefit of the German-speaking members, here is some more on the latter:

http://www.wasserburg.de/fileadmin/D...2014_nr._7.pdf

?

Thank you HPL, found it interesting.

A few more additions, taken during a cruise of the Adriatic Sea from which I returned yesterday:

Two memorials in the port of Bari, Italy. The first one is for the casualties of the air raid of 2 December 1943:

War Memorials

War Memorials

On 9 April 1945, a catastrophic ammunition explosion occurred in the port of Bari, when the cargo of the Liberty Ship Charles Henderson detonated (see: SS Charles Henderson - Wikipedia). The memorial is mounted on the Port Authority building (note that the ship's name is misspelled):

War Memorials

See: SS Charles Henderson - Wikipedia

Dedicated to the railway personnel of the Veneto region who fell for their homeland, this memorial is located at the St. Lucia railway station in Venice:

War Memorials

Wall plaque in Zadar, Croatia illustrating war damage to the historic old town from the Croatian War of Independence of 1991 - 1995:

War Memorials

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast