Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

War Memorials

Article about: Here are some of the Pozieres Cemetery and Memorial also on the Somme again, taken last autumn...... The walls surrounding the cemetery are covered with the names of those who are missing.

Default Re: War Memorials

Two more additions, taken on my holiday trip last week.

Memorial plaque at King's Cross Railway Station in London:

War Memorials

The War Memorial/Temple of Arethusa at Kew Gardens, Richmond/London:

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

Welcome back Andreas.
    I thought you would stay a bit longer.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

A photo I took a few weeks ago of a memorial in the small village of Frayssinet in the Lot region of France. This remembers 15 civilians of the village murdered by elements of Das Reich Division during a spree of oppression and murder in the Lot region just preceeding and in the months following D-Day...

War Memorials

Bringing this back up with a few views of the Heldendenkmal der Roten Armee [Heroes' Monument of the Red Army] also known as the Befreiungsdenkmal [Liberation Memorial] at the Schwarzenbergplatz in Vienna, photographed yesterday on the occasion of an extended Easter Weekend trip:

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

?

Nice images, thank you.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Bringing this back up with a few views of the Heldendenkmal der Roten Armee [Heroes' Monument of the Red Army] also known as the Befreiungsdenkmal [Liberation Memorial] at the Schwarzenbergplatz in Vienna, photographed yesterday on the occasion of an extended Easter Weekend trip:

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials
    Nice! I've never seen that one.

Here are one's from my trip to Ilomantsi.

A memorial cherishing the memory of fallen Finnish and Russian soldiers in the Winter War

For the memory of those who fell at Taivallampi.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Memorials   War Memorials  

A memorial for the 3rd Border Jäger Battalion, who stopped the Russian advance in Ilomantsi in the summer of 1944.

3rd Border Guard Jäger Battalion stopped the Russian advance here, 31.7.1944
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Memorials   War Memorials  

?

I see a lot of photons of german soldiers graves, marked with crosses and such just in random forests, beside roads and hiking trails, sometimes singly or in groups of three or four, I saw one that had the graves of threes german soldiers ambushed by the Americans.....I just wonder how common these ramdom graves are in Germany

This year's main holiday trip for me was a week in Rome. Having returned last Wednesday, here a few more additions taken on that occasion.

The first is an instantly recognizable and much-photographed landmark, the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II [National Monument to Victor Emmanuel II] or Vittoriano for short; also known as the Altare della Patria [Altar of the Fatherland].

While the overall monument as such is not a military memorial per se, it does house Italy's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, with its eternal flame and permanent military honor guard:

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

Right next to it is this much humbler memorial for the liberation of Rome and the fallen of the Italian Campaign:

War Memorials

War Memorials

War Memorials

An all-new monument which was only recently erected is this one, commemorating the 200th anniversary of the Carabinieri, the national military police of Italy and since 2000 an independent branch of Italy's armed forces (prior to this, they were a branch of the army):

War Memorials

War Memorials

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast