Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

War Memorials

Article about: Here are some of the Pozieres Cemetery and Memorial also on the Somme again, taken last autumn...... The walls surrounding the cemetery are covered with the names of those who are missing.

Default War Memorials

G'day all,
    Ive just returned from Perth City where I took my daughter for a visit to our state War Memorial. This is the largest of many war memorials in Western Australia so I thought I'd share it with everyone here. It is the scene of the biggest ANZAC day ceremony in Western Australia each year with the annual Dawn Service, there are many smaller local services around the City and state but this is the largest. I hope you enjoy the pics and if anyone else has photos of their local war memorials from around the world please feel free to post them here.
    Cheers, Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Memorials   War Memorials  

War Memorials  

?

Default Re: War Memorials

It's an impressive one that! That particular site was chosen by a number of Gallipoli veterans as the cliff behind the memorial is similar in size and grade to the cliffs at gallipoli

It is a beautiful and somber place Tony, I have several relatives with their names on the memorial. All Western Australian service personel that die in the service of their country are commemorated here.

?

That's nice you can go see their names....I'll have to go to the one in Hyde park Sydney and post some pics....it's just been renovated....the shrine in Melbourne is a very somber place, especially walking thru the vault to the underground shrine

Agreed mate, the Shrine in Melbourne is very moving indeed.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I hope you enjoy the pics and if anyone else has photos of their local war memorials from around the world please feel free to post them here.
    A good idea; I have a bit of a habit of photographing war memorials when on vacation and had been toying with the idea of starting a thread on this very subject. So allow me to add some images, even if the memorials pictured are not from my homeland.

First, some photographs from my 2010 stay at London.

The Cenotaph at Whitehall:

War Memorials

Memorial to the Women of World War II, Whitehall:

War Memorials

Guards Memorial by the Horse Guards Parade:

War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials

Tower Hill Memorial:

War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials

Firefighters' Memorial near St. Paul's Cathedral:

War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials

Photographed at Prague in 2007, a memorial to the German annexation/occupation of 1938-1945...:

War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials

And the memorial at the Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius where Heydrich's assassins met their fate:

War Memorials
    War Memorials

Some from Italy, taken this summer.

An artillery piece turned artillery memorial at Peschiera on Lake Garda:

War Memorials
    War Memorials

Another classical-style memorial at Peschiera:

War Memorials
    War Memorials
    War Memorials

A dramatic monument at Bardolino, also on Lake Garda:

War Memorials
    War Memorials

A life-size depiction of an Alpini with his faithful mule, this is a memorial to fallen mountain troops at Stresa on Lago Maggiore:

War Memorials
    War Memorials

?

Here are a few of the Thiepval Memorial on the Somme taken last autumn......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Memorials   War Memorials  

War Memorials   War Memorials  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Wonderful pictures and thanks for showing these moving and evocative memorials. Where I live in West Wales nearly every village has a memorial and I plan one day to drive round the area and photograph as many of them that I can find.

Here is the Airborne memorial from Holland taken when I lived in that country.

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast