Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Warsaw 1944: then and now

Article about: Superb Polish website: FOTO-ALBUM PROJEKTU "?LADAMI POWSTA?CZEJ FOTOGRAFII" Cheers, Ade.

Default Warsaw 1944: then and now

Superb Polish website:

FOTO-ALBUM PROJEKTU "?LADAMI POWSTA?CZEJ FOTOGRAFII"

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Warsaw 1944: then and now

ceacking website that is ade, thanks for that,
    what amazes me is the todays current photo's of people going about there every day chores not knowing the death and utter destruction that once lay at the very spot they are walking!!!!!!!!! fascinating stuff.
    mart.

?

Great site! Thanks for posting.

As I am an utter nut about the AFB ("After The Battle") comparisons (and have travelled several times using their guides i.e. Lichterfelde barracks, Wolfschanze etc. etc.), this was just the site for me.

(about pic number two: Then and now battlefield comparison, AND SDKFZs - two of my favourites - be still my beating heart! It does not get any better than that.)

?

Hi Ade , thanks for the link , very interesting ! it`s amazing that some of the damaged buildings have survived that sort of impact and vibration , there must have been some rather large cracks in the brickwork to make good !! The photographer must have done a hell of a lot of recce work to identify those locations !
    cheers Al

Great site, before and after, amazing. When I was in the military I was stationed in Berlin (65-67) at the Lichterfelde Barracks then called Andrews Barracks. We were in the old SS billet not the newer part. Very eerie in the basement. I have some old photos from then and will try to scan them and post. Wish me luck as scanning is new to me, I'll do my best. Some interesting shots. Found these 2 on my computer, first shots I'm posting, let me know if they come through, if they do I'll post some of the older ones.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Warsaw 1944: then and now   Warsaw 1944: then and now  

Phil, do you mean she worked at Andrews? In that building we had the PX, USO Club, EM Club and the theater. If she was there 1965-67 I might have known her, just in passing tho I'm sure. Have some great memories from my time there, great city and great people

?

Quote by johnhmcgary View Post
    Great site, before and after, amazing. When I was in the military I was stationed in Berlin (65-67) at the Lichterfelde Barracks then called Andrews Barracks. We were in the old SS billet not the newer part. Very eerie in the basement. I have some old photos from then and will try to scan them and post. Wish me luck as scanning is new to me, I'll do my best. Some interesting shots. Found these 2 on my computer, first shots I'm posting, let me know if they come through, if they do I'll post some of the older ones.
    Would be great to see some more pics of the Lichterfelde Barracks. When I was there, I had lots of pics from an After The Battle magazine and that really gave a good impression about how it looked back then amongst other things when Adolf inspected the troops on the parade ground.

Interesting that they just encased the two SS guards (statues that is) at the front gate in boxes and poured concrete over them. Imagine if that could be removed and the original statues seen.

I always got a kick of the fact that two SS men were guarding both the US forces and now the Bundeswehr albeit encased in a somewhat movement hindering substance