Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

We never forget

Article about: Sent to me the other day a National Boar memorial for our troops that went to that war, as the sender said took them 115 years to get one its located in Australia NSW from what I can gather.

Default We never forget

Sent to me the other day a National Boer memorial for our troops that went to that war, as the sender said took them 115 years to get one its located in Australia NSW from what I can gather.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture We never forget   We never forget  

A very novel and tasteful design for a type of ediface that many see as "Old fashioned" or jingoistic.

I really like war memorials if that is not a strange thing to say, because I believe that the history and the experiences of the men involved should forever be acknowledged. Not because war is glorious or something that nations should revel in. Yes, valliant exploits should be commemorated but so should the sadness and tradgedy. I truly believe in the saying "those who fail to remember the mistakes of the past are condemmned to repeat them". That doesn't mean I think war is always a mistake (read my signature quote), it just means that it is always very serious and definately not to be taken lightly or the results taken for granted.
    It is such a shame that it often takes a society so long to acknowledge the trials of those who actually enacted the governmental policies of the politicians (for most of whom the loudest bang they ever heard was a chapmagne cork!).

There have been many conflicts just glossed over in national histories for the sake of whatever (embarassment, unpopularity or just political expediency) and that is just wrong. More memorials with impact such as this one I say!

It reminds me of the Korean War memorial in Washington DC or the Falklands War "Yomper" in Portsmouth UK.

Thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark

We never forgetWe never forget
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Warfare is the response when the talking stops. That said I am a firm believer is NEVER to stop talking. Especially remembering a small conflict 35 years ago at this time. Politicians it is to you that the armed services of countries look to to sort out their differences. Sadly all too often it is the soldiers who pay for the time when that dialogue stops.

Rest in Peace and Remember Soldiers!

?

Truly stunning memorial. Thank you for posting the images of what is a fine commemorative marker.

Carl