Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood on TV

Article about: Hopefully available to all in the UK at least. BBC iPlayer - Wales at the Somme: Gareth Thomas and the Battle of Mametz Wood Perhaps not great but it showed members of operation nightingale

Default The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood on TV

Hopefully available to all in the UK at least.

BBC iPlayer - Wales at the Somme: Gareth Thomas and the Battle of Mametz Wood

Perhaps not great but it showed members of operation nightingale digging in Mametz wood.

One figure they quoted was that of 120,000 welshmen who took part in the war, 40,000 were killed which was the highest % of all the allied nations who took part.

BBC Wales are showing a series of great war programs over this month, try I player to find them if your interested and hopefully you can watch them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have just returned from the Somme commemorations and visited Mametz and Mametz Wood and had a good walk around.
    I found quite a few shell fragments on the edge of the wood.

Here are a few pictures for now

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood on TV   The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood on TV  

The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood on TV   The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood on TV  

The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood on TV   The Welsh at the Somme and Mametz Wood on TV  

Last edited by HistoryMan; 07-06-2016 at 03:53 PM.

?

Such calm peaceful scenes belay the struggles of heroism and sacrifice of the brave Welsh lads that fought, were crippled and died there.
    The Welsh are fierce warriors.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Such calm peaceful scenes belay the struggles of heroism and sacrifice of the brave Welsh lads that fought, were crippled and died there.
    The Welsh are fierce warriors.
    I had never visited the Somme region until this visit, what struck me about the entire region was indeed how calm, peaceful, quiet and scenic it was, a far cry from 100 years ago

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Hopefully available to all in the UK at least.

BBC iPlayer - Wales at the Somme: Gareth Thomas and the Battle of Mametz Wood

Perhaps not great but it showed members of operation nightingale digging in Mametz wood.

One figure they quoted was that of 120,000 welshmen who took part in the war, 40,000 were killed which was the highest % of all the allied nations who took part.

BBC Wales are showing a series of great war programs over this month, try I player to find them if your interested and hopefully you can watch them.
    I have just watched this today, enjoyed it