MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 RAF Airman Found After 64 Years

Article about: I thought I would share this story about Pilot Officer Reg Wilson, who, with the assistance of a group of amateur historians, found & recovered the body of his missing comrade. Sergeant

?

Default WW2 RAF Airman Found After 64 Years

I thought I would share this story about Pilot Officer Reg Wilson, who, with the assistance of a group of amateur historians, found & recovered the body of his missing comrade.

Sergeant John Bremner will be laid to rest at the Heerstrasse War Cemetery in Berlin on 21 October.

The aircraft, LW337, a Halifax from 102 Squadron based at Pocklington, was shot down whilst attacking Berlin on 20th January 1944.

See here: News Story

Don
    Last edited by DonB; 10-17-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Corrected information

Default Re: WW2 RAF Airman Found After 64 Years

That's a very interesting story DonB. It's great for anyone whoever fought in any war or 'conflict' and their family's, to have their remains found or some sort of final answer. Sadly, there far too many left unknown. Thanks for the article!

cockybundoo
    ?

Well done DonB for posting this, saw it on ITV news last night. Very moving with his sister being able to put her brother to rest.

Shame society can't have as much repsect for each other, as these old aircrew do.

?

Quote by cockybundoo View Post
    Shame society can't have as much respect for each other, as these old aircrew do.
    I absolutely agree.

It is also a damning indictment on our own MoD with their "Leave them where they fell" policy.
    It is high time we had an organisation like JPAC in the U.S.A. who actively seek out MIAs.

Don

ace
    ?

i agree with DonB we need some people to follow up storys of the war and bring as many of our heros home they do it in america this guy was a hero and if it wasnt for him his mate might have laid where he fell for another 60 years what a guy

The British Government arent as bothered about finding lost soldiers as the Americans are.

if the government thinks there might be a chance of a body on board of an aircraft for example they will deny an excavation full stop, and wont even bother themselves to do something about it.

There have been a couple of incidents when land owner and relatives have agreed for a group to dig on a site, knowing about possible remains and have stopped when found and contacted authorities.

the group have ended up in court for it only to be chucked out.

i think it then comes under coroners jurisdiction rather then MOD?