Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Zijpendaal Ehrenfriedhof Arnhem

Article about: Hello, there is a lot known of the graveyard. Willem Tiemens (he died in 2007) wrote a book of it (Ehrenfriedhof Zypendaal te Schaarsbergen). It is in dutch but a very good site. There is a

?

Default Re: Zijpendaal Ehrenfriedhof Arnhem

Based upon the aerial photo's I found, I think it might be quite different than I previously thought. I just made a new sketch to explore the idea. I also superimposed the aerial photo and extended it a bit. I would love to hear your thoughts about it!

The angle of the aerial can be a bit deceiving in perspective from the satellite image of Google. It might also be possible that the entry was pulled a bit backwards later on due to restructuring the area. The (spruce?) trees were planted next to graves as you can see in the photographs, they were still very small. But 60+ years later the would be the size as they now are. Meaning that most of the graves would lie far behind the tree-line.
    Last edited by Sasha; 06-18-2011 at 04:04 PM.

polar
    ?

Ze lagen daar met meerderen in 1 graf bovenop elkaar gestapeld. Wat ik heb begrepen tot 7 man opelkaar.

Quote by polar View Post
    Ze lagen daar met meerderen in 1 graf bovenop elkaar gestapeld. Wat ik heb begrepen tot 7 man opelkaar.
    Translated it gives;"they lay several body's in a grave, piled on top. What I understand up to 7 men on top of each other."
    Welkom Polar,
    maar de voertaal is hier wel Engels!!
    Gelieve hier op te letten aub!
    Thanks
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I'm glad Kris brought this one back up, very interesting. Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us Sasha. Fantastic photos and illustrations. I'm afraid the true number of dead buryed there will never be known. Memories are too blurred or gone completely. The most sacred military cemetary here in the states, Arlington, can't keep track of their dead even today, which is a shame.

Jay

Awesome thread and great photos.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

Wow! Jim! thanks! that's really great. The aerial I got didn't give many clues since it was cut off, this one really does! I also went to the spot before, since I heard that if you take the path to it there is a white barrier, with rubble on the sides (remains of graveyard). I saw the white barrier and went into that path. I didn't see any rubble though. It was the first location I went to. but later on I found other photo's conflicting this location , mainly because of a second graveyard.

Well, it seem you have the correct one! Consider it found!

You're welcome!
    Why don't you visit the (vliegbasis Deelen museum) Near Schaarsbergen.
    They know much about this graveyard and also have lot's of photo's and relics from this graveyard, a must see for you!
    Ask Edwin from the museum if he can tell you more about Zypendaal,
    Because had lot's of story's about this graveyard, and some really nice picture's of Zypendaal, and a graveyard map with the grave's, so you should ask if you can see it some time, because the graveyard map is in the storage.
    Regards Jim

Here is a picture with a aerial overlay, handy google earth.
    http://94.100.114.4/1418550001-14186...42_6_Hyx-.jpeg

?

another nice thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast