Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1st Battalion F.M. Commando

Article about: I came upon a couple of rather intriguing items at yesterdays Preston arms fair yesterday... the first being a porcelain bust of a French military officer. Mounted on the base is the insigni

Default 1st Battalion F.M. Commando

I came upon a couple of rather intriguing items at yesterdays Preston arms fair... the first being a porcelain bust of a French military officer. Mounted on the base is the insignia of 1st Battalion F. M. Commando, and I am assuming that the bust is likely to be of their commander during the D-Day landings of 1944... Lieutenant Philippe Kieffer.

1st Battalion F.M. Commando1st Battalion F.M. Commando1st Battalion F.M. Commando

The second item is rather nice, and I was told that both items had always been in the same family. It is a cased presentation piece documenting the battle honours of 5e Overseas Interarms Regiment, unfortunately I have no other information on it - but it is undoubtedly a very nice piece. I suspect that the metal is gilded, and all enamel work is free from damage. The silk lining of the case is marked... 'J BALME SAUMUR FRANCE.

Cheers,
    Steve.

1st Battalion F.M. Commando1st Battalion F.M. Commando1st Battalion F.M. Commando1st Battalion F.M. Commando
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 11-07-2017 at 10:48 AM.

?

Haven't got a clue what they relate to Steve, but they don't half look good mate!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Free French commando troop who served with No.4 Commando. Landed with No.4 on D-Day. Beret badge if genuine and l see no reason why it shouldn't be is very rare and desirable.
    Chris.