Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?

Article about: Thank you for the additional information on castings, molds and dies Helldunkle a very interesting subject in its own right and I will need to look at a little more . As to the cap badge pos

?

Default 1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?

I have seen this cap badge come up for sale gents and I would like to add it to my collection all though it is in very warn condition I am having a hard time telling if it is a good one or not any one have any thoughts .
    It looks a lot like the repo one I have for display but I am unshur if my repo was made from an imprint from an original or not.

Regards Mark K
    Attached Images Attached Images 1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?  1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?  1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?  1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ? 

?

Default Re: 1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?

I think it is a good one. The right side scroll end is smaller then the left, plus it still shows the tiny flaws above the first N in Canadian and P in Corps.

?

The seller had it listed on Ebay buy now option for $ 400.00 Cdn with no takers, he relisted the badge regular auction style and it had a couple of bids on it when the seller pulled the item .
    Thanks for taking the time to look and reply.

Regards Mark K

?

He had another one that didn't sell for 225 USD, it looked good too.

?

Gents as these sell for silly amounts of money I would like a few other opinions before I take the plunge as it were I do like what I see on this cap badge but the fakers are getting quite good with these.
    There are a few tell tale signs to look out for in an original as stated above and all of these are apparent in the images below but I would welcome some other opinions on this cap badge.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?   1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?  

?

I just pulled the trigger on this 1 Canadian Parachute Corps cap badge pictured in the post above .
    Anyone have any after thoughts or comments on this badge .

Regards Mark K

difficult to tell without actually holding the badges. There is no rust on the back of the second badge...but that doesn't mean anything. The metal on both looks the same thickness (I find that restrikes are thinner than originals, but not always) The second badge looks sharp edged and unworn. Too new. But again that means nothing. someone could strike a load of these or cast some from an original, bury them for a year or two and them sell them off at silly prices. I think most badges for sale now are restrikes. I'm not an expert on badges just sceptical after buying too many 'original' restrikes.

?

Thanks for the reply as to the badges in question I do believe this to be images of one capbadge .
    I will know more once I have it in hand as I have a small window for inspection once it arrives as far as I can tell at this point it is an original.
    No original war time dies exist of this badge as far as I know and If it was directly stamped from a legitimate badge it will be larger in size and very likely made from thinner material.
    I have spent many hours studying these particular capbadges as I have wanted to add one to my collection for some time now. The heavy guilt on the reverse of the badge on the wing tips in conjunction with the die flaws on the first (N) in Canadian the (P) in Corps the smaller scroll on the right hand side and lastly the small flaw above the ribbon in the word Parachute are correct for this badge .
    I will be taking some additional photos in Macro and post them once it has arrived .

Regards Mark K

?

I received the cap badge in the post yesterday and I must say I am quite pleased with it and IMO it is an original the capbadge is 40mm tall and it weights approx 11 grams which is consistant with known originals.
    There are three die flaws two imperfections and an oddity which as well are all consistant with known original these you can see highlighted in image number 1 .
    My Thanks to all who replied and Adrian Stevenson for his opinion on this badge.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?   1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?  

1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?   1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?  

1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?   1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?  

1st Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge good ?  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Thanks for the reply as to the badges in question I do believe this to be images of one capbadge .
    I will know more once I have it in hand as I have a small window for inspection once it arrives as far as I can tell at this point it is an original.
    No original war time dies exist of this badge as far as I know and If it was directly stamped from a legitimate badge it will be larger in size and very likely made from thinner material.
    I have spent many hours studying these particular capbadges as I have wanted to add one to my collection for some time now. The heavy guilt on the reverse of the badge on the wing tips in conjunction with the die flaws on the first (N) in Canadian the (P) in Corps the smaller scroll on the right hand side and lastly the small flaw above the ribbon in the word Parachute are correct for this badge .
    I will be taking some additional photos in Macro and post them once it has arrived .

Regards Mark K
    Badges can be cast in a 2 part mould as well as struck with a die. Its very difficult to cast badges because of the thinness of the metal, but not impossible. With modern heat proof casting materials a mould would last a long time (they used clay years ago for a single use mould) A bit of cleaning work and the cast example would be an exact replica of the original....maybe a bit thicker. I like the look of the example you bought. Very nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast