Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Green Beret MIA Remains Come Home

Article about: My home town Concord, NC... Remains of Donald Monroe Shue (RT Maryland CCN). Will come home after 42 years..... BILL Cabarrus soldier's remains identified, returning home after 40 years Dona

Default Green Beret MIA Remains Come Home

My home town Concord, NC... Remains of Donald Monroe Shue (RT Maryland CCN). Will come home after 42 years..... BILL

Cabarrus soldier's remains identified, returning home after 40 years
    Donald Shue of Concord, NC went missing while serving in the Vietnam War. His remains will return April 30.

Sgt. Donald Monroe Shue

Related
    SEARCH AND READ: Military documents pertaining to Donald Shue's disappearanceBy Ben McNeely
    Published: March 15, 2011
    Updated: March 17, 2011 - 4:52 PM
    » 5 Comments | Post a Comment
    CONCORD, N.C. --
    The remains of a local solider missing in Vietnam for more than 40 years have been recovered and are coming home.

Donald Monroe Shue of Kannapolis was serving in the U.S. Army when he and two others went missing while on a mission in Laos on Nov. 3, 1969. He was listed as missing in action.

The Army informed Shue's family last week that his remains had been identified. His remains will be flown in from Hawaii on April 30. A service will be held at Whitley's Funeral Home in Kannapolis on May 1, followed by a graveside service at Carolina Memorial Park.

His nephew, Mickey Jones, said the family was shocked to hear Donald had been found.

"So much time has passed,” Jones said. “Just the thought of that, to me, it would be extremely unusual. The odds of it were so small.”

According to Army documents, Shue was attached to a unit that performed "in highly classified operations throughout Southeast Asia."

While on a mission in Laos, he and his patrol were ambushed 30 miles inside the country, near Ban Chakevy Tai in Saravane Province. Shue, SSgt. William Brown and SST Gunther Wald were last seen wounded.

Bad weather delayed a rescue. When the rescue team did follow eight days later, they couldn't find any trace of the three American soliders.

Shue was later classified as killed in action, his body not found, on Jan. 15, 1979. Shue's military grave marker is at Carolina Memorial Park in Kannapolis.

Years later, a farmer in Vietnam, near the site where the ambush took place, found human remains and reburied them, then contacted his government. A team from the United States recovered the remains found in Vietnam.

The area where Shue and his patrol were attacked was in Laos, but after a border shift, it is now in Vietnam.

Jones said along with Donald’s remains, the team found his Zippo lighter, with his name engraved on it.

The Army notified Shue's family in Nov. 2009 that his remains had possibly been found, but further DNA tests needed to be performed.

According to military documents, Shue’s mother, Nellie, made repeated requests to army about her son’s whereabouts. Documents show a paper trail from Shue’s disappearance through his reclassification as killed in action to the report of the recovery team sent to collect the remains.

A tree was planted in front of the Concord Post Office in honor of Shue.

Shue’s remains are at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and will stay there until he comes home on April 30. Jones is working with Rolling Thunder, the veterans’ motorcycle group, to lead a motorcade from the airport to Whitley’s Funeral Home in Kannapolis.
    Attached Images Attached Images Green Beret MIA Remains Come Home 
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: Green Beret MIA Remains Come Home

Welcome home Sgt. Shue. R.I.P. now.

?

Lest We Forget RIP Sgt. Shue

Another one home. JPAC do a great job of which the American people are justly proud finding and repatriating these men,they are not forgotten.

Only last week 11 WW2 American fliers were buried in Arlington having gone missing over PNG on an early form of what is now known as an ELINT mission when their B-24 went missing out of Port Moresby. US Identifies Remains of 11 WWII Fliers

R.I.P. gentlemen and Blue Skies.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Welcome home sarge, back with your family and friends R.I.P.

?

Glad to see ya home buddy.
    Steve Ray

R.I.P an American hero

Great story. Glad to here he's finally coming home.

My uncle served in the 5th SF. 1966-68.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.