Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Airborne Wheelbarrow

Article about: I have this "Wheelbarrow" and have been told that it could be from WWII others think that it is post war, never having seen any pictures of it in use I would like to know its date

Default Airborne Wheelbarrow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Insurance Jeep 007.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	214803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Insurance Jeep 008.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	214804I have this "Wheelbarrow" and have been told that it could be from WWII others think that it is post war, never having seen any pictures of it in use I would like to know its date in use, John.

?

Default Re: Airborne Wheelbarrow

Hi John,
    Two years ago I spent two days up at the airborne forces museum at Duxford. First day I spent measuring every last part of the canvas wheel barrow and have since made six replicas but on the second day I spent all day looking through the archives for various types of wheelbarrows and carts. You would be suprised to see just how many vatiations there are!
    Any way I have seen one of these before and I was also curios as to it's age, the example I saw was at the Army Air Corps museum at middle wallop, during my searches in the archives at duxford I found several pictures of this type which were all taken in the early fifties. Unfortunatly there weren't any accompanying notes, all I can say is the type of pictures they have are typical REME style pictures that would have been taken to show off new kit, all the pictures were staged so unfortunatly I couldn't say for deffinate but I would assume it probably was fifties.

Regards Louis