Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Attributed M42 Jump jacket to a trooper in HQ 1st Battlion 505th Parachute Infantry & modified field pants

Article about: Here is the jump jacket and modified field pants that are attributed to a 3 war veteran. This is an M42 Paratrooper jump jacket which is attributed to a 3 war veteran (WW2, Korea and Vietnam

Default Attributed M42 Jump jacket to a trooper in HQ 1st Battlion 505th Parachute Infantry & modified field pants

Here is the jump jacket and modified field pants that are attributed to a 3 war veteran.

This is an M42 Paratrooper jump jacket which is attributed to a 3 war veteran (WW2, Korea and Vietnam). I am still doing research on this uniform, however I do know that the trooper was assigned to Headquarters 1st Battalion 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division during WW2. He joined the Army in February 1943, and he attended basic airborne school the same year. His records indicate that he departed the US from the New York Port of Embarkation on July 15, 1944 and he arrived in Scotland on July 23, 1944. His records are fragmented at this point but I can positively confirm that the trooper was assigned to service company (SV.Co.) 505th Parachute Infantry at Camp Quorn, England on October 16,1944 and the following month on November 27, 1944 he was assigned to HQs Company, 1st Battalion 505th Parachute Infantry which was at Camp Suippes, France.

The M42 jump jacket is in great shape, the snaps, pockets, and all other "things to look for" in an original jump uniform are present. The laundry tag is present but has washed out over the years. There is also the hint of red and blue thread on the sleeve but I can't see the square outline of the 82nd Airborne patch or stitch holes. The zippers are Crown made and the belt is intact to include the small fastening tab on the back of the jacket. Above the breast pocket are the two holes indicating he had his jump wings pinned to this jacket. The belt is also present which tends to be missing on some jackets that I have encountered so this of course was a bonus when I picked this up.

The M-1951 trousers are modified and they look very similar to the M43 trousers however the give-away that these were M1951 trousers was the addition of the pocket flap to the watch pocket and the added cargo pockets have a more straight look rather than the angled pocket that you would normally find on the M43 trousers. The manufacturers tag is well worn but you can still see the nomenclature, "Trousers, Field, Cotton, Olive Drab"... The added cargo pockets are made of very heavy canvas material, almost as thick as a shelter half. It also appears that the pockets have been treated with some sort of waterproofing material, also found on canvas used for tents and covers for vehicles. I was able to find out the service number of the veteran and the last 4 numbers match the numbers stenciled on the uniform above the watch pocket and on the inside of the pants. You will also notice that the straps that the leg ties which were common with these pants have been removed. You will see the reinforced stitching squares in the crotch.. These pants would have been worn post World War Two with the 82nd Airborne Division as the records indicate numerous assignments within the 505th in 1946, 1947 and 1948.

Once again there is a gap in the records I was able to obtain but in November 1951 the trooper is now a First Sergeant and he is assigned to HQ Company 2nd Battalion 505th Airborne Infantry at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

The last photo I uploaded is a picture of the trooper. He is the Soldier on the left side with the 1SG Chevrons.. I was able to zoom in on his jump wings and it appears he made 3 combat jumps, now given he arrived in England in July 1944 he would not have been able to make either jumps in Italy with the 505th or at Normandy. He most likely jumped at Holland and the other 2 jumps remain a mystery for now.. I am continuing to conduct further research. There is a slim chance the trooper participated in Operation's Dragoon and Varsity with other units but this is unlikley.. However since there are significant gaps in the records I will wait until I have better confirmation. Based on the latter part of the records I have for the trooper he was stateside during the Korean war so that would dismiss him being with the 187th ABRCT in Korea where that unit made 2 combat jumps.. So research will continue..

I am not going to release the name of this trooper but his uniform and photos as well as unit plaques and other items were found at an estate sale in Texas several years ago. A close friend of mine sold me the items after he found out I was interested in Airborne items. There are also several signed photos from Field Commanders in Vietnam where he served. I hope to someday get a complete set of this troopers records so that I can properly honor his services..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Attributed M42 Jump jacket to a trooper in HQ 1st Battlion 505th Parachute Infantry & modified field pants   Attributed M42 Jump jacket to a trooper in HQ 1st Battlion 505th Parachute Infantry & modified field pants  

Attributed M42 Jump jacket to a trooper in HQ 1st Battlion 505th Parachute Infantry & modified field pants   Attributed M42 Jump jacket to a trooper in HQ 1st Battlion 505th Parachute Infantry & modified field pants  

Attributed M42 Jump jacket to a trooper in HQ 1st Battlion 505th Parachute Infantry & modified field pants   Attributed M42 Jump jacket to a trooper in HQ 1st Battlion 505th Parachute Infantry & modified field pants  

Stunning set there Smitty Thanks for posting it up.

Thanks Rene,

Glad you like it...It is in very nice condition.. I would imagine one of his jackets that did not see a lot of front line action but was his garrison or rear area jump jacket..

Smitty

Great Set and thanks for sharing. Its a fantastic jacket made even better with solid provenance.

MAP
    ?

Spectacular Smitty. As I said in the other M42 Jump Jacket post recently. I think these are the coolest looking combat jackets ever!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Very cool Smitty. I'm glad the set got into the right hands that will appreciate it. Thanks for sharing.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I really appreciate everyone's comments and feedback..

You guys are the best..

Smitty

Hi Smitty

The most impressive part of this grouping is the research that you do and the preservation in honoring this individual as well as other original uniforms from veterans that you have shown over the years.

Its great to see this set.

Well done and keep us informed.

Phill

Phill,

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement..

Smitty

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi Smitty

The most impressive part of this grouping is the research that you do and the preservation in honoring this individual as well as other original uniforms from veterans that you have shown over the years.

Its great to see this set.

Well done and keep us informed.

Phill
    I could not agree more.
    This grouping could not be in better hands.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast