Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

British Airborne sleeping bag

Article about: Unless your selling your one Ade theres someone on ebay whos knicked your description! Airborne Denison 1st Pattern Sleeping Bag 1943 on eBay (end time 03-Oct-10 11:53:01 BST)

Still good.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I found one of these at a local auction and bought it today. It was rolled up showing the underside, was a bit dusty and had rat poison in the creases! Unfortunately I have a morbid fear that if I look at a Lot for too long then others will become interested so I didn't unroll it. I had a plan in my head about my bidding strategy but when it came to the crunch my heart was beating so fast I broke rule number 1 of bidding and stuck my hand up at the opening bid. With the help of a most generous gentleman dealer I know who told me he wouldn't bid on it I got it for the opening bid.
    5!!!!

I was a little concerned that due to the rat poison the inside might have been tuned into a nest, however, on rolling it out on the living room floor (which is getting professionally cleaned on Friday as I reminded the wife!) it was in amazing condition. I would say the that the Denison material is near mint with no wear or holes. It also has the added addition of a nice clear 1943 date stamp.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	279.7 KB 
ID:	902692   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	902690  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	30 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	902691   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	48 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	902693  

Views:	38 
Size:	348.2 KB 
ID:	902694   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	327.6 KB 
ID:	902695  

Views:	46 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	902696  

What a result! Nice one.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Does anybody have any wartime images of these bags? I can't seem to find any.

I have seen some. But I don't have them to hand so I cannot copy them.

One was some guys in them in the aircraft, another was someone carrying one over his shoulder. I have also seen glider manifests listing them.

Many thanks Ade, I'll keep looking (I gave up with Google and have nearly exhausted my library!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123