MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Army Flying Badge half size wing

Article about: Hi Guys, this wing from my collection has been mounted on a perspex backing and fitted with a retaining screwback. No doubt so it could be removed easily from a uniform. I purchased this win

Default British Army Flying Badge half size wing

Hi Guys, this wing from my collection has been mounted on a perspex backing and fitted with a retaining screwback. No doubt so it could be removed easily from a uniform.

I purchased this wing some years ago now and was told at the time it may have belonged to a Polish pilot, hence the screwback. But this pattern of wing was not authorised until 1948. However, it is still a great quality item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army Flying Badge half size wing   British Army Flying Badge half size wing  

?

Default re: British Army Flying Badge half size wing

Ade,
    I've seen this statement added to quite a few items ... RAF etc...

"Half size wing - Polish" ....

Not sure where this originates, and what the real truth behind it is ! ?.

Has someone some concrete evidence to back up the "Half-size wing" connection with the Poles ? would really like to nail this one !

Regards

Gary J.

?

I have 2 pictures of Polish glider qualified pilots, their wings are smaller than 3 of the ribbon bars mounted below on their uniform. That means that their wings are smaller than the usual 5 inch examples.

Thanks Luc

I bought the wing off Peter Taylor and he told me the "story". Like I say, no idea in the truth of it, but your post makes me more hopeful.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade, Gary, I have just e-mailed you the pictures I mentioned.

There is an enormous amount of variety when you look at GP wings. I have a part-bullion wing with Queen's Crown that is full size too, which is unusual to say the least.

Here's my flock of small size wings by the way.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army Flying Badge half size wing  

could you share these images of Poles wearing a small version of the Glider Pilot wing?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, this wing from my collection has been mounted on a perspex backing and fitted with a retaining screwback. No doubt so it could be removed easily from a uniform.

I purchased this wing some years ago now and was told at the time it may have belonged to a Polish pilot, hence the screwback. But this pattern of wing was not authorised until 1948. However, it is still a great quality item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Glider Pilot Wings? Really? Oh dear me, Ade, I would have expected you, of all people, to call it by its actual name - Army Flying Badge

I'm sure every AOP pilot in the Commonwealth forces turned in his grave.

Rob

?

Quote by oldlincolnian View Post
    could you share these images of Poles wearing a small version of the Glider Pilot wing?
    I'm afraid I lost them when my pc crashed and I can't remember where I found them.

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Glider Pilot Wings? Really? Oh dear me, Ade, I would have expected you, of all people, to call it by its actual name - Army Flying Badge

I'm sure every AOP pilot in the Commonwealth forces turned in his grave.

Rob
    I'ill get my coat..
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I'ill get my coat..
    That's OK. Just one of my several pet hates, like Field Marshall (with two bloody l's), and SRD meaning anything except Supply Reserve Depot, and airborne string vests, and 'SAS' windproof smocks, and... OK I need my pills...

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast