Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

British Denison smocks

Article about: Hi, Recon 3690 has this totally wrong and will confuse members. The Denisons issued were, as I classify them: A. 1st Pattern, one piece front and back, knitted wool cuffs, 2 varients with th

Can i just add i have a 1946 dated Denison that has the brass press studs like the wartime smocks so at what date did they go over to using the later press studs ? Does anyone have a 1947 or 1948 dated smock and what press studs does it have on it ?

?

I like these smocks a lot.
    They seem immensely practical and ahead of their time.

Would be fun to see a hand-on comparison side by side with the WWII German paratroopers jump smock (that some claim was the basis for the Denison) - anybody had the chance to compare the to in regards to quality, user friendliness, practicality etc?

Quote by kradman View Post
    Can i just add i have a 1946 dated Denison that has the brass press studs like the wartime smocks so at what date did they go over to using the later press studs ? Does anyone have a 1947 or 1948 dated smock and what press studs does it have on it ?
    Collectors can get hung up on things like this. Many have not worked in Industry themselves and forget that a maker would simply use up what stocks of hardware etc they had at the time. I seriously doubt that the military specs called for a change in the finish to the hardware. 1946 was certainly a cross over time and finding brass fittings would not be unusual. I had a 49 dated smock and they were nickle.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Scout View Post
    I like these smocks a lot.
    They seem immensely practical and ahead of their time.

Would be fun to see a hand-on comparison side by side with the WWII German paratroopers jump smock (that some claim was the basis for the Denison) - anybody had the chance to compare the to in regards to quality, user friendliness, practicality etc?
    I have been lucky enough to play with a lot of smocks in my time. The first issue Brit jump smock is very like it's German counterpart and wears the same way. They are OK, but the Denison is a much better overall user friendly product.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks Ade.
    What are the advanteges/user friendliness to a late Denison over the 'Knochensack,'pls?

Are talking more room for stuff, better positioned pockets etc?

On a sidenote, I read that the one Knochensack variation had a holster/pocket for a flare gun.
    Not sure if that would comfortable, but does sound innovative (but then one would hardly accuse the Germans for not being innovative during WWII).

Thanks Ade
    Makes sense to use up left over press studs , I find Denisons a interesting subject so much different camo color from one maker to the next ,Someone should make a book on the subject
    Last edited by kradman; 09-18-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: misspelling

There is a new book out on Denison's: it is very good. See Phillip's post 49 in this htead for a link.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Thanks Ade.
    What are the advanteges/user friendliness to a late Denison over the 'Knochensack,'pls?

Are talking more room for stuff, better positioned pockets etc?

On a sidenote, I read that the one Knochensack variation had a holster/pocket for a flare gun.
    Not sure if that would comfortable, but does sound innovative (but then one would hardly accuse the Germans for not being innovative during WWII).
    They are a better design overall. The amount of pocket room is much much better, having 6 pockets, and if you open the seam on the backside of the 2nd pattern, you can stuff even more into them. So the pockets are big advantage. They are much more comfy to wear. Pulling them on and off over the head can be a little awkward at times though, so you can see why full length zips were later fitted.

Now don't laugh. The two internal pockets can be used to house inflated condoms as an aid to swimming. One of the Pathfinder Vets I knew told us this when we were in the South of France. So we bought condoms and tried it out in the Hotel swimming pool!

Cheers, Ade.

On the subject of press studs, I have two near-identical 1959 pattern Denisons, both made by BMC, one dated 1962 but the other date too faded to read. The 1962 smock has nickel-plated studs as you would expect, but the other has brass ones that are clearly original to it. Both sets of studs are by Newey with their usual 1922 patent date. I can only presume BMC were using up old stock. The zip on the 62 smock is brass or bronze and by Aero, that on the other is black and by Lightning. The camo is the "paintbrush" style, the 62 one being more brown and the other more yellow-green.

Fascinating subject and an absolute minefield (no pun intended) for the novice like myself. Can I ask for how long the half-zip versions were continued post-war having just seen a pic of a 1956 dated Denison with a half-zip?

I have seen advertised for sale (no pictures) a 'post war Denison, half-zip, nickel studs and lower cuffs with tightening straps' and am wondering how post-war are we looking.

Cheers in advance,

Ian.
    Last edited by canti44; 02-03-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast