Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Para Smock and Helmet (film props?)

Article about: I recently bought a smock and helmet used in the film The Eagle Has Landed, these came directly from a stunt man who worked on this film and many others. I am happy with the helmet and that

ldr
    ?

Default British Para Smock and Helmet (film props?)

I recently bought a smock and helmet used in the film The Eagle Has Landed, these came directly from a stunt man who worked on this film and many others.
    I am happy with the helmet and that it is used in the film. It matches the photo of the stunt man. I am unsure if it is genuine WW2 or some other helmet converted.

The smock I am not happy about as it does not match the smock he is seen wearing in the photo. From what I can gather it is a 1970s smock, and not WW2. I am unsure whether genuine WW2 smocks were used in the film (someone said they were, and someone else said they were made from scratch for the film).

Would you be able to give me opinions on items. The b&W one is the stunt guy wearing the items. The colour ones I've taken. I've also attached a comparison with the differences.

So, my questions are:

1. Is the smock on the B&W photo genuine WW2? Or 1970s?
    2. What era is the smock I have?
    3. Is the helmet genuine WW2 or something else?
    4. What era is the smock on the screen grabs?

Photos:
    Stunt guy on set:

Smock I received:
    British Para Smock and Helmet (film props?)British Para Smock and Helmet (film props?)British Para Smock and Helmet (film props?)

The Arnheim badge was added post by the stunt guy. But looking at the film they didn't have insignia..so not sure when the other badges were added.

Differences in smocks:

Screen grab (The camo looks completely different on the screen grab to the smock sold):

Helmet:
    British Para Smock and Helmet (film props?)British Para Smock and Helmet (film props?)British Para Smock and Helmet (film props?)British Para Smock and Helmet (film props?)

The helmet insignia is obviously added for the film and lumps and bumps match the b&W photo. Though is it a real WW2 helmet?

Any thoughts would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

The smock is 100% not WWII. The helmet looks good to me, other than the insignia of course as you noted, but I’m not an expert in para stuff. I know for a fact the smock is most likely 60s or 70s though.

It's got a NATO stock code (8405 etc) so definitely post WW2. I have doubts about the helmet as well. I use to have one made 1944, and there should be a maker mark and date on the leather liner sweat band. Don't think that jacket was ever in the "The Eagle has landed", as it is different from the ones used. Maybe you've been had.

?

It's a 1959 Pattern Para smock , same as mine.
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1365964

Attachment 1365965

Attachment 1365966

Nice one Rick.

Interesting thread in WRF archive on British Denison smocks.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Nice one Rick.
    Thanks Mate ,

It's one of my favourite pieces , love it

Here is some more pics so he can compare.
    Different manufacturer , but same # 8405-99-973-5163

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1365973

Attachment 1365974

This would one date to approx '68
    The OP approx '71

?

I don't like the Helmet either , Sure it looks like the photo , but everything about it is wrong.

Attachment 1365975

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Thanks Mate ,

It's one of my favourite pieces , love it

Here is some more pics so he can compare.
    Different manufacturer , but same # 8405-99-973-5163

Cheers Rick
    Me likes Rick, I just have a rubbish big sized '46

A lot of sand/tan colouration in that 1959 pattern. Perhaps that's reflect the rising middle east tensions (Suez crisis was 1956) and speculation where forces may be deployed in the future. Quite different to the camouflage pattern used in WW2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast