Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???

Article about: Although the BD could be real i think all the insignia and equipment is poss Soldier of Fortune purchases

?

Default Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???

I have an opportunity to purchase a nice mix of British Airborne uniform items, and am trying to do a little research to see what some of these pieces sell for so I do not over pay. Problem is I just cannot find ANYTHING out there no matter where I look! Even a Google search for "British Uniform" turns up nothing like the lot I'm looking at.

Are the British uniforms just that rare, or just not very collectible? I guess the lack of good solid sales info online could point to either of these as a possibility.

I've attached a couple shots of some of the items in the lot. There is more, but appears to be at least three sets of britches, and at least two jackets, with a ton of accessories. Also a converted dispatch riders helmet.

If you know your British uniforms, please let me know what you think about these items. He's asking a couple grand and I'm just not sure thats a good deal, especially since I can't find anything to justify that price.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???   Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???  

Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???   Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???  

Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???   Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???  

Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???  

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Are British Uniforms and Accessories Rare...???

Hey there,
    British collectables might not be as rare as German and other militaria,But they are gaining in value.At the moment Battledress uniforms and Paratrooper items are mainly collected.The items you`ve been offered for sale are screaming the word repro to me.The battledress tunic might be original but the insignia looks to new and crisp to me.I also dont like the para helmet,It looks to new especially the liner.While some of the bits might the original I think this was part of a reenactors kit which their selling.As for prices,I think Ade can help you with this as he collects British militaria and reenacts

I agree with 3mk the insigna look brand new and i am looking at one of the book i have here and the font of the Airborne patch does not match the one i have here and the size looks bigger ( the red part ) ( might be wrong .... ) .And i can tell you Original British or Canadian uniform battledress are something that does not stay long on the market .The price is on the rise . I am trying to get one battledress canadian without emptying my pocket and it's hard .

Ade or someone else who are expert will shed light for us on this uniform .

frenchy

Hi Dzyner, British uniforms are very collectable. As already stated, any Airborne related items with sell very easily. Good originally badged wartime British Battledress is hard to find. Many people have stated collecting British A/B in the past few years. Prices on camo Denison smocks and Airborne helmets have increased about 5 fold in the past 5 to 8 years.

The Battledress Blouse you show is original but all the insignia is fake. The label is interesting as it states 1942 pattern and not 1940 pattern.

The webbing is original but you would need to check the dates on it, as 1937 pattern webbing was produced post war too.

The camo windproof trousers look original but these are now reproduced.

The helmet is not worth bothering with.

I know we have not seen all the items, but the asking price is far too high.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks everyone! There was no way I was paying near $3k anyway, but now I know to steer clear of the entire lot since there is a better than average chance of problems with something in every piece.

There is nothing worse than being told something is 100% authentic and finding out its far from it. Then again, I always try and give the benefit of the doubt to the person selling it that maybe they too were misinformed when they originally purchased the stuff.

Ade, what you see is the bulk of it. I had a second look at the photos and, contrary to my original post, there isn't really a "ton" more. Mostly little things and the extra pants and jacket mentioned.

Again, thanks for your feedback everyone!

?

The potentially nice items like the blouse and FS knife don't look ok. As a whole, the price is not right.
    Ade, the blouse is interesting indeed: 1942 pattern with Indian ordnance acceptance stamp. I've seen a couple of examples on ebay over the years, they didn't sell for much.

Hi Luc, I like the blouse just for the label too, plus it is a good big size which is a bonus.

Cheers, Ade.

I think the Prices of most run of the mill Airborne items (not some of the rarer items) or out of proportion to the amount of stuff that was produced. Tens of thousands where in Airborne Forces during the War, All had helmets, webbing and smocks. At least 2 berets and battledress uniforms and the insignia to go on them.

A wartime Maroon beret may be desirable but not rare. A Wartime Caubeen or Tent hat I'd consider rare. No guessing which would cost more though.

Can't remember ever seeing duct tape (on the S-F sheath) used in WW2.

I agree with my colleagues....looks like a re-enactor's kit.

Pat G.

I'm replying to myself, after further research. Olive drab "duck" tape was in fact invented by J&J in 1942 to seal ammo cans against moisture. The silver "duct" tape is however post-war.

Hope I got it right this time.

Pat G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast