Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Camouflage parachute scarf with a difference

Article about: I recently bought this camouflage parachute scarf and I’m wondering if anybody can confirm if the material is wartime or not. It is not particularly well made (the pieces don’t quite line up

Default Camouflage parachute scarf with a difference

I recently bought this camouflage parachute scarf and I’m wondering if anybody can confirm if the material is wartime or not. It is not particularly well made (the pieces don’t quite line up and the stitching isn’t straight). It appears to be made of two different pieces of material as they are different shades.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camouflage parachute scarf with a difference   Camouflage parachute scarf with a difference  

Camouflage parachute scarf with a difference   Camouflage parachute scarf with a difference  

Camouflage parachute scarf with a difference   Camouflage parachute scarf with a difference  

Camouflage parachute scarf with a difference  

Interesting that it has fringe at both ends.. I wonder if this may be a field made/rigger made Chaplains Stole.. It appears to be cut from different panels as you mentioned from a chute. I wonder if this was a damaged chute or one put out of service that was made into this scarf, stole or a table runner.. This type of parachute material and pattern has been used from WW2 to Vietnam era. Difficult to say really what era without any of the ink stamps or markings commonly found on the chutes, but I really like it..

Smitty

I have a Grouping to a 187th Airborne Chaplain that made one of the two combat jumps with the 187th in Korea and this Chaplain also went on to become a Chaplain for the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam. He had several ascots made from parachute material similar to what you posted. I can't confirm if he cut a panel from his chute he jumped with in Korea, but the pattern you showed is similar to the pattern in his items..