Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Denison smock

Article about: This is not my field, but I was recently given two of these, one of which is reputed to have been worn at the Battle of Arnhem. Am I correct in assuming that they would have been worn by the

Default Denison smock

This is not my field, but I was recently given two of these, one of which is reputed to have been worn at the Battle of Arnhem. Am I correct in assuming that they would have been worn by the airborne artillery since its previous owner was a gunner who avoided capture at that battle. Unfortunately the labels in both have faded and cannot be read.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Denison smock  

Looks like all the colour from the camo pattern has been washed out of it, although I have never seen one so faded like this before.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Terrylee View Post
    This is not my field, but I was recently given two of these, one of which is reputed to have been worn at the Battle of Arnhem. Am I correct in assuming that they would have been worn by the airborne artillery since its previous owner was a gunner who avoided capture at that battle. Unfortunately the labels in both have faded and cannot be read.
    Interesting Dennison, would you be interested in selling one? I have a large collection of dennisons with 15 destinct types but have never seen one like this. Lucky You

Default Re: Denison smock

I posted up pictures of my sand coluured smock in January 2009 post no.250. If you put Sand Coloured Smock in the forum search box you will find it. Some really interesting info. came from other members about it, good luck, John.

For ease, here is a link to John's smock;

Sand coloured Dennison smock

Cheers, Ade.

Am I correct in assuming that they would have been worn by the airborne artillery since its previous owner was a gunner who avoided capture at that battle.
    This may well have been worn by an Airborne Gunner, however it is not an Artillery specific smock. All parachutists wore the same uniform, the insignia was the only difference.

Thanks, Chaps, for your interest. In a post last year I was informed that the smocks were Rhodesian after WWII. This is very likely. That is where they came from. Unfortunately, one of them is damaged.

?

Sorry to dig up an old post but that is a Rhodesian made Denison from the 50s or 60s and were only ever made in plain tan. There was a South African version with buttoned cuffs and no beaver tail all so plain tan
    Graham