Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Is This an Escape Compass in my M1 Carbine Stock?

Article about: Hello all, I recently acquired an M1 carbine with what appears to me to be an escape compass in the stock. THis M1 Carbine was acquired through a government program to disseminate military f

Default Is This an Escape Compass in my M1 Carbine Stock?

Hello all,

I recently acquired an M1 carbine with what appears to me to be an escape compass in the stock. THis M1 Carbine was acquired through a government program to disseminate military firearms. As such, I am the first civilian owner of it. I was hoping to get the input of this forums members on just what I have here. Thanks so much!

Is This an Escape Compass in my M1 Carbine Stock?Is This an Escape Compass in my M1 Carbine Stock?

Obviously it's not all there unfortunately, but even so, it's really cool to me. Thanks again for any knowledge you can impart on me. I didn't even know about escape compasses until I got this rifle a couple days ago and started digging around on here.

Obviously non-functional, escape compass might be a
    stretch. Probably random circular bits that happened
    to fit into a gouge - perhaps a reason why they
    were placed there instead of the buttstock or a
    more logical/practical area. The military frowns
    upon the defacement of their property.

Can't read the tag concerning the rifle's grade, but
    from the condition, it appears to be
    a lower tier.........
    Regards,

Steve.

If it's "random bits of metal", this would be the very first field repair (in the thousands upon thousands that ibe seen) that was performed in such an incorrect manner. Sticking a broken compass into a gouge instead of using the prescribed method would be a bigger stretch to me than someone wanting a compass in their stock.

You can see some shavings under the compass from where the wood was carved out to put in the compass as well.

While the military frowns upon defacement, the name I found carved in the handguard seems to indicate that someone didn't take that concern too highly haha.

The stock is field grade, while the metal (which is unoriginal to the stock, due to maker) is in pretty good shape. This was acquired from the American CMP from an Army storage depot. They mix and match some parts to put together rifles but the hangars with the name in it and the butt stock are stamped matching.

Thanks for the input!