MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk map

Article about: Hi I'm new to this site, and pretty new to collecting in general. I was wondering could you tell me if there is an issue with reproductions or fakes with regard to silk maps. I know some mil

wryan
    ?

Default Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk map

Hi

I'm new to this site, and pretty new to collecting in general. I was wondering could you tell me if there is an issue with reproductions or fakes with regard to silk maps. I know some military items have a lot of copies out there.

If so, what would you look out for? I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I've added pictures of my first map i've purchased, and really hoping its genuine.

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk map   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk map  

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I have moved your post and started a new thread for your map.
    I am sure that someone will be along shortly to assist you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hello, this is an original early war Air Ministry silk map which looks to be in very good condition.
    At the moment silk maps are not universally copied, however, as with everything in this market it won't take long! The two copies that I am aware of are the Zones of France map (my avatar) and map C / D of the 43 series. The Zones of France copies are easy to identify as the colours are wrong (not as vibrant) and the C/D map is printed on quality silk (it is sold as a reproduction to be worn as a scarf). Map pockets/wallets are also reproduced. There are a few good books on the subject (Great Escapes by Barbara Bond details all of the maps produced)
    I'm sure that you have seen my thread, but if not here is a link
    Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!
    In general early maps were printed on substandard silk so the conditions vary, the latter maps were printed on artificial silks. I would suggest that the best test for originality is condition, with the exception of one of my maps they have all spent their lives folded up and as you can see from maps this is rarely a neat fold or uniform. A lot of them were rushed through the production process so have printing flaws. I would suggest the if it looks to new or the quality is too good then it is probably a reproduction.
    If your sticking with escape maps they you can't go to far wrong, however, other escape aids are being faked and 'created' at an increasing rate and a lot of foolish people are passing with an awful lot of money! There are a couple of eBay sellers in particular who are selling items that have clearly been put together and being sold under the 'SOE /Mi9' banner. You need to think 'does the condition of the map / compass compare with the item that it's allegedly been hiding inside of for 70+ years'.

wryan
    ?

Thank you very much for the advice Grimebox. Your collection is very impressive. I'm at the beginning stages so will check out that book too as it will be very helpful. Thanks a lot.