Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I have not heard of this, however, I believe that the 'pencil dagger / sticker' was issued to RAF aircrew so it is not inconceivable that a Para could get hold of one - could it be that a few had these 'pencil daggers / stickers' and they were simply confused for cut down cooking skewers? On looking at my Denison smock I would suggest that if one was to hide a skewer or similar in the area of the collar then common sense suggests that it would be hidden in the neck opening area running alongside the zip (with the point facing down!!). As stated I have not heard of this, however, as my knowledge of escape and evasion, SOE and MI9 grows nothing surprises me anymore - the ingenuity of man has no bounds!
    Cheers for your reply Grimebox.
    Cooking scewers were apparently used due to the fact they could be bent to match the radius of the jackets collar so aiding concealment.
    Cheers
    Dave

?

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Grimebox,unbelievable collection you have there,I've never seen the pencil dagger...very nice,Thanks for sharing..CHEERS!

Quote by seebee1 View Post
    The British Fiber Carrier Pigeon Leg Capsules are interesting, but I am unsure if they are WW2 or post-WW2. There is a very good exhibition at Bletchley Park, in Hut 8, on the use of Pigeons in wartime. Although they have several examples of the Leg Capsules I did not see any of the Fiber ones. Also shown is a fine documentary that covers many of their brave exploits and awards of the Dickin Medal. The use of the Peregrine Falcon, by both the British and Germans, to kill Carrier Pigeons was something I did not know too much about previously. Some amazing footage shows how a Pigeon could avoid the Falcon, that was diving at some 200 MPH, all the Pigeon did was to suddenly drop like a stone and the falcon simply overshot it!
    I will have to try and get to Bletchley Park and see the exhibition. The capsule may well be Post WW2 if they do not have an example on display, although I believe that the British military stopped using pigeons sometime around 1948. I was interested to see that the recent media coverage surrounding the carrier pigeon found in somebodies chimney showed a red plastic capsule, a type that I had not seen before.
    Below are some links showing carrier pigeons and a video showing how a pigeon can avoid a falcon (I don't know if it's the same one you saw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiOHA...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSKrR...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOAArvt7NQ

Not exactly the same video, but similar to the first one. There is not too much written about the actual Capsules used and not sure if all patterns are on display at Bletchley Park. I also have not seen the pattern found on the remains of the Pidgeon before, other than at BP.

A US Army Air Force cloth map. Produced in February 1945 it covers Japan and South China Seas (C-52) and East China Sea (C-53)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

I think this document will be of interest to you. I have never seen one of them before and it answers several questions about Escape Kits and Purses. Regards, Clive.Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

It certainly is an interesting form, as I stated on the WAF it is interesting to note that he states he did not use his aid box and then that he used it all up whilst hiding! (and all in a 24hr period). Also it appears that he lost his maps and file but still had his compass which suggests that he had compass kept seperately. The other interesting thing (In fairness it's all interesting!) is that he carried four passport photo's and states that he used them (again within a 24hr period). I think next on the shopping list will be a handfull of Francs and some passport photo's, I don't think one of these forms will be coming anytime soon!!
    I have attached the same links that I put on your excellent thread on the WAF;
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/laurieb...9wewatkins.pdf
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/laurieb...20lwfstark.pdf
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/laurieb...29jbpurkis.pdf

A commercially produced compass whistle from the 1930's/40's. The seller stated that this belonged to a pilot and I have no reason to see why pilots of the period would not have carried one of these as a survival aid. Whistles were issued to Aircrew mainly so that they could alert rescuers if they ditched into the sea.
    There are a couple of links below which detail some of these compass whistles along with an interesting one which has a standard escape compass set into it.

Whistle Museum: Compass Whistles Seven Types & Subgroups. A. Strauss (2) more samples.

Whistle Museum: Compass Whistles Seven Types, A. Strauss (3) A. De Courcy escape compass.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

A US Army Signal Corps message book. It contains twenty-five sets of form in triplicate for normal use, three sets in duplicate for pigeon use and twenty-five sheets of tracing paper. These message books formed part of the pigeon troop equipment. The individual message sheet that is in one of my carrier pigeon leg capsules is dated 1942, however, the sheets in this book are dated 1943.
    The message book can be seen in this well known image of paratroopers training in 1943.

Attached Images Attached Images Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more! 

Very interesting Whistles, although I have never previously associated them with Escape and Evasion and do not believe they were an "issue" item. In an E & E role it is very unlikely a Whistle would be required, also not so easy to conceal either. Definitely of use if an Aircraft ditched in the sea though. Regards, Clive.

Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast