Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity stamp on the WA Forum (when it functions properly again!) I can post it on your own thread if you would like me to. The Capsules posted in different colors are for the AC Delay and each color represents a different time. Regards, Clive.

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

I would be very interested to see the stamp Clive! It would be interesting to see how it compares with an original German version

This Fake German document stamp belonged to a friend who served in the RAF and was involved with both MI-9 and SOE. I had planned to post this as well on my MI-9 thread on the WA Forum, but the site still has too many problems with their server transfer. I also have two passes for Secret RAF establishments that I will post another time. Regards, Clive.Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Now that is amazing! Is it a P.o.W made version or the version made by MI9 to be smuggled into P.o.W camps?

Unfortunately I do not know the answer to this, the owner passed away a long time ago. All I recall him telling me is that it was connected with his role in MI-9, so really could be either scenario. He was a very interesting fellow and never went into too much detail of what he did. I have a great picture I will dig out of him and some colleagues taken at RAF Tempsford. They were taking some material for Agents in a plain Dodge van and there is an aircraft in the background, the name of the mission is on the back of the image. All the best, Clive.

I recieved this little grouping through a friend of a friend. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of history for it. It belonged (or a least some of it) to a friend/neighbour of their family, who 'may have flown bombers during the war' and may have been called 'Frank'! The items were gifted to them a very long time ago and apparently there were other items which have long since been lost / thrown away (flying helmet, gauntlets, two other silk maps)

As you can see it's a mixed lot and I think a few 'home front' items have been thrown in as well (The large dressing is marked 'H M GOVERNMENT' and dated 1939, the wallet contained two 1941 dated farthings, I don't know the significance of the Kodak tin but it looks period, the Spitfire lapel badge is for the Hampshire Spitfire fund, the watch is broken and has different straps but again looks period, the 'trench art' letter opener is engraved 'C ALLSOPP 1945' on one side and 'SURENDORF' on the other)

The interesting item, however, is the shaving brush. It is dated 1943 and the end unscrews to reveal a standard escape compass set into the 'lid'. Unfortunately somebody has had a good go at trying to dig it out!

The map is a very faded Batholomew map covering Germany - I have shown it alongside an unfaded example
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

An example of the smallest escape compass made by MI9 (at least that I know of!). Unfortunately my pictures don't do it justice as my camera won't zoom in close enough. These compasses would have been hidden inside of pencils, pens, etc. I do not know how much use they would've been given how small they are and how difficult they are to read.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

I have finally managed to get hold of a copy of Map C and D of the 44 Series for a decent price. This means that I nearly have the whole set of the 44 Series maps, however, I am missing two maps. One is Map R and S covering Hopeh, Shantung, N. Honan, N. Kiangsu, E. Shansi and Chosen, I have never seen a copy for sale and the other is Map V and W of Japan which I have never seen a copy of! The search continues

Interestingly the map has a note on it stating that it overlaps with Map 44/I - This map never existed as the sheets jumped from H to J

I have shown all of the maps together - not and easy thing to photograph as they take up a lot of room, I have to lay Map N and O on top as it a lot larger than the other maps

An SOE/MI9 'baby telescope' / mini Monocular / telescope. A very small telescope which is shown and identified in Per Ardua Libertas as for Post Capture use 'for watching guards, etc'. This telescope is the same size and design as the one shown in the Per Ardua Libertas and examples held in the IWM, however it is of bright/clear brass construction and does not have the blackened finish of the aforementioned examples, whether it was produced like this or has been polished I don't know.

I have attached links showing the examples held in the IWM

monocular, miniature | Imperial War Museums
    monocular | Imperial War Museums

?

Hi There
    thanks for showing your collection great to see it all !!!
    I have allways agreed that as a collector I would not just g out and spend sily amounts of funds on bits as it will come along every know and then at the right price me and a frend had a frendly bet for a cuppa to the winner who could find the 1st button compass about 2 years in to the bet I purchased a RAF uniform grouping from a market and was going through it when I came across a small RCAF button in the pocket at the market I did not think to much of the button just put it back in the pocket and purchased the lot when I got home I went through the collection in more detail and found the button again thinking it was a bit heavey I took out one of my escape compasses and put it near it to see it start spining around I tried to undo it with the normal thread ie right hand and it would not budge then i spok to my frend he remined me about the left hand thread and it came undone heres a picture of the candian small compass button .
    it belonged to 1812259 COULTONS N RAF IT PAYS TO WAIT !!!
    steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast