Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

The next map is an AAF cloth map from the Mediterranean series. This is map No.4 and No.6 covering a similar area to the previous Bartholomew map. According to WWII Silk Maps and Cloth Maps Escape Maps Nos. 4/6 was printed on balloon cloth by the Kaumagraph Company in December 1943 in a quantity of 8,525 copies and shipped at the request of MIS-X to the Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Allied Forces Headquarters in March 1944. This map has a scale of 1:2,000,000.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

The final map is a real quandary! It is a GSGS map (Geographical Section, General staff), however, it is not one of the GSGS 3982 series or GSGS 4090 (Norway) series. It is marked Geographical Section, General staff 4072. Despite it being marked 1:500,000 scale it is considerably larger than the GSGS 3982 series. I cannot find any reference to it in Dr Barbara Bonds excellent book GREAT ESCAPES, which documents Mi9's escape and evasion maps (although, admittedly I have not fully read the book). The only reference I have found so far is to GSGS 4072 being a standard paper map. The map itself has a hemmed edge and is made of what Dr BOND would refer to in her book as MMF (man-made fibre or artificial silk).
    I have shown it alongside the two GSGS maps that I have to show the comparison in size. It would appear to have the code N.E 46/14 YA 1 and N.E 46/18 YA 2
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

?

I am glad you are happy with the "Tape", Wow you have a great collection!!!

Dean O
    Canada

A rare pamphlet documenting precautions to be taken by British personnel in the event of capture, dated 1942. The Air force had their own variation of these pamphlets.

Map C and D of the FGS series. The smallest in the series which, as you can see, does not really follow any sort of pattern. It is interesting in that it details pronouncations and abbreviations of the local languages. It is shown alongside FGS A/B and some of the other FGS maps that I have to show the variations in size and detail.

This is a very special map to me as it is one that I have been after for a long time. Whilst I have rarer maps in my collection that I have stumbled across over the years I think it's the fact that I have actively tried to hunt this one down which makes it just a bit special. Apparently 5,068 maps of sheet 44R/44S were printed, however, this is only the third one that I have seen and only the second that has been for sale.
    It covers Korea and part of China and is of a very large size like map 44N/44O, due to its size and the fact that it is printed on stiff rayon in my personal opinion it is not much use as an 'escape' map.
    The only map left to complete the 44 series is the elusive sheet 44V/44W (44T/44U was never printed) - The search continues!!!!

Another rare map that I have been after for a while but has always been out of reach due to the prices they fetch! This is Air Ministry map 9CA/9U and was one of 5000 printed. It is shown alongside map FGS E/9CA and a single sided 9U map.
    I have also shown all of my Air Ministry maps together to show the differences in colour of the fabrics used, effects of aging and different edging methods.

ZO! YOU VON'T TALK! An unusual British pamphlet from 1942 giving advice on interrogation techniques by the Italians and Germans.

(Apologies for the order - pictures taken on my iPhone)

Bartholomew map Sheet Z covering Northern Germany, the Baltic and East Denmark. This map was printed in three colours (black, red and green), however, it has faded over time (but for £10 I'm not going to complain!). A printing error can be seen on the map key where the silk creased when it was being printed.

This is sheet J3 and J4 and is an unusual map in that it is based on native Italian maps and not a Bartholomew map. The key/legend is also unusual as it is in Italian, German, French, English, Dutch and I think Hungarian and Yugoslavian. Records show that it was printed in 1942.

Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast