Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

A rare early Bartholomew map covering USSR, Poland, Finland, Denmark, etc. It is sheets R2 and R3. Note how it has been cut too small and the map image is partially obscured by the hemming. It is shown with the British 'blood chit' for Russia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

This map is a fairly common 44 series map showing sheets G and H and in fact is not in very good condition as it is somewhat faded, however, what makes is interesting is the yellow edging. The edging around the map has clearly come from yellow supply parachute. Post war many maps were altered into various things including scarfs and clothing (I have shown a map converted into a table mat and egg cosies earlier in the thread) and it is possible that this map has been turned into some sort of table cloth, however, I wonder if the edging has been added as use for some sort of aircraft recognition panel. My thought behind this is the fact that it is clear that off cuts of parachute have been used in a haphazard fashion and there has been no attempt to make it look nice and neat if you were intending it to be used on a table, etc.
    I have shown it with the dyed map of Burma
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Last edited by Grimebox; 01-06-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Another example of the smallest escape compass that was made. As can be seen, it is slightly larger than my other example both in width and height.

Another example of an American escape compass. It is nearly identical although the letters are slightly crisper. Almost all of these compasses that I have seen have the 'crazing' around the edge where they have degraded over time.

Default Missing escape compass glass?

If like me, you have any WWII escape compasses with missing or damaged glass, risking the loss of the compass card and leaving the compass looking more like a relic, than a valuable and rare collectors item, I may be able to help...

I had a batch of lenses specially made to replace the lenses of three of mine, but had to buy batches of 6 each, so I have 3 of each type left.

These lenses fit either large escape buttons, or standard MI9 escape compasses, or the small forage cap, or the stand alone miniature compasses, sometimes seen with the tiny screw in the back. (See images below).

If anyone needs a replacement glass, the small glass (approx 6.7mm) lenses are £20.00, large lenses (approx 14mm) are £22.50.

If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

This is a single sided Bartholomew map sheet K covering Cyrenaica. It is shown alongside the double sided version, sheet K1/K2

Default What Escape Buttons are actually out there?

Folks,
    I am trying to build a definitive list of Escape Button compasses produced. Many can now be seen on the web, but if anyone has, or has seen in other collections or museums, any buttons beyond those listed below, please post them. Has anyone seen an RAAF button?

The list so far:

Royal Engineers
    Royal Artillery
    Reconnaissance Corps
    General Service button
    Royal Berkshire Regiment
    Royal Air Force
    RNZAF
    RCAF
    Polish Air Force
    USAAF
    Australian Armed Forces
    New Zealand Armed Forces
    British General Officer's button
    Royal Navy
    Royal Marines
    (Fleet Air Arm) - described but not seen.

So please reply with any escape buttons you come across, beyond the above list.

Many thanks again everyone
    TB
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  
    Last edited by Truebrit; 04-21-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Error in text

Quote by Truebrit View Post
    Folks,
    I am trying to build a definitive list of Escape Button compasses produced. Many can now be seen on the web, but if anyone has, or has seen in other collections or museums, any buttons beyond those listed below, please post them. Has anyone seen an RAAF button?

The list so far:

Royal Engineers
    Royal Artillery
    Reconnaissance Corps
    General Service button
    Royal Berkshire Regiment
    Royal Air Force
    RNZAF
    RCAF
    Polish Air Force
    USAAF
    Australian Armed Forces
    New Zealand Armed Forces
    British General Officer's button
    Royal Navy
    Royal Marines
    (Fleet Air Arm) - described but not seen.

So please reply with any escape buttons you come across, beyond the above list.

Many thanks again everyone
    TB

I can't add anymore to your list I'm afraid. I haven't come across an RAAF button compas yet. I'm sure I have seen a FAA version but can't recall where.

A rare Bartholomew map showing the Malay Peninsula (and a bonus at only £3!)
    I believe that it is the only Bartholomew map that covers the Far East. It is also a large size ( for a Bartholomew map) at 64cm x 51cm. It is sheet MP1.

Default Malay map

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    A rare Bartholomew map showing the Malay Peninsula (and a bonus at only £3!)
    I believe that it is the only Bartholomew map that covers the Far East. It is also a large size ( for a Bartholomew map) at 64cm x 51cm. It is sheet MP1.
    Nice map, not come across that one before...

Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast