Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Just sourced a rare MIS-X produced ‘bar’ compass. These were known as Arrowhead Compasses, and were produced for MIS-X in USA. I don’t know if it was designed for concealment in any specific object for shipment into the camps, or in aircrews personal belongings? Any insight welcome...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

This is another rare mulberry leaf tissue map. It is a Bartholomew map, sheet J4, covering Southern Italy. It is shown alongside the silk version
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Escape knife?

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Has anyone come across this type of knife before? It closely resembles the Escape Boot knives, even having the small protrusion on the base, but these knives are much smaller. The closed knife is only 8cm long. I have seen a number of these knives, so this is not a one-off. I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who knows what this knife is please?

Interesting knife, not one I have seen before. Could it be something to do with the later, 1950’s pattern escape boot?

Default Escape Knife?

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Interesting knife, not one I have seen before. Could it be something to do with the later, 1950’s pattern escape boot?
    No, I've not seen one before either, but in talking to E&E collectors and a dealer, it turns out they each have one... Did the 1950s boot have a knife?

regards
    TB.

This is the type of 1950’s escape boot I am on about. I used to own a pair many years ago. There was no pocket in the boot or anywhere to store a knife so I don’t what they were officially meant to cut it down with
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Another rare artificial silk GSGS 4072 map. This one is sheet N.E 44/18 YA. 3 Begrade and N.A 44/14 YA.4 Fiume. I know very little about these maps, however, they are dated 1942 and I now have sheets YA. 1 to YA. 6
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

A question for you Map Experts please. Escape maps Y (Schaffhausen Salient) and X (Spittal/Mojstrana) are known to exist in fabric versions, but does anyone know any details on them being printed on tissue? What dates they were printed on tissue? Mrs Bond lists them only as having been printed on silk...

Thanks.
    TB

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Another rare artificial silk GSGS 4072 map. This one is sheet N.E 44/18 YA. 3 Begrade and N.A 44/14 YA.4 Fiume. I know very little about these maps, however, they are dated 1942 and I now have sheets YA. 1 to YA. 6

A question for you Map Experts please. Escape maps Y (Schaffhausen Salient) and X (Spittal/Mojstrana) are known to exist in fabric versions, but does anyone know any details on them being printed on tissue? What dates they were printed on tissue? Mrs Bond lists them only as having been printed on silk...

Thanks.
    TB

Quote by Truebrit View Post

Thanks.
    TB
    Interesting question. I have checked Mrs Bond’s book and it does indeed say that they were printed on silk with no mention of tissue, however, Per Ardua Libertas makes specific mention of the map being printed on tissue. I believe that original copies of the book had examples of sections of silk and tissue maps so this may prove whether or not it was printed on tissue (I believe that Clive may have an original book and might be able to answer your query). Given that Per Ardua Libertas was written at the time and makes specific mention of the map being printed on tissue I would tentatively suggest that the map was printed on tissue. Also this map was specific to escaping Oflag VII-C which suggests that a tissue map smuggled in would be if more use than a silk one (although saying that, Mrs Bond has done the research and is a scholar on these matters!). With regards to date I would suggest that they were produced prior to 1942 and I refer to my comment alongside my map in post #45 - Oflag VII-C was a World War II German prisoner-of-war camp for officers located in Laufen Castle, in Laufen in south-eastern Bavaria from 1940 to 1942.....The Oflag on existed for a short time.

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast