Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Another example of an early war Air Ministry silk map, sheet 9.U. This example has a heat sealed edge and is shown alongside the hemmed edge version
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

A rare example of a Pointie Talkie in Chinese booklet printed on rayon. These were issued in escape wallets alongside maps. It covers a range of words and phases, my particular favourites being ‘fever with an enlarged spleen’ and ‘Malays like injections’ (not quite sure what situation you would be in to use that!)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Another very rare booklet also printed on rayon, ‘The Malay languages. Vocabulary and useful phrases’. This would also have been provided in an escape wallet. I have shown it alongside my other rayon printed booklets

Last edited by Grimebox; 11-28-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Now I am assuming that this is a very beast as I have never seen or heard of one. It is a British blood chit for the Far East and was clearly part of a survival pack (I’m assuming the tropical version of the RAF 1941 pattern Mae West survival pack going by the shape)
    As can be seen it is slightly larger than the standard blood chit of the same design and on the rear it shows the contents of the survival ‘back pack’.

Really nice pieces you have picked up there. As you say, rare and very interesting!

For a great - and in part amusing - tribute to the Great Escape, don’t miss Guy Martin’s Great Escape at 9pm Sunday on Channel 4. The show includes a scene where Guy is challenged to find a number of genuine Evasion and Escape devices in an example of a loaded WW2 RAF tunic...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Interesting bit on escape and evasion kit

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435