Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

I know this thread is WWII focussed but the requirement for these items of course did not cease in 1945.

Here is another item I fished out of my "Pandoras Box" which I managed to snag whilst I was quartered on a RAF base and working nearby in an extra-regimental posting (what was I doing? That's not relevant )

This map is printed on silk as usual and is based on 1944 mapping printed in 1952 with magnetic variation (magnetic declination) overprinted in 1953.

It is double sided and the area covered leaves little to realise that amongst the only people who would have been issued this were "V Force" which included the fabulous Avro Vulcan. The blokes who knew that if they were deployed for real it was a one way flight and that they would have to fend for themselves if they survived beyond the target

The legend at the bottom includes the appropriate languages of the area covered.

It gives me the creeps just looking at this piece of a history that was nearly the end of our history.

If anybody wants better pics just ask as these were taken in very poor light.

Regards

Mark

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Scare instruction sheet and maps for sailing the RAF type Q dinghy. Approximately 32 x 32cm and printed on rayon. It consists of ten double sided sheets c.1943 rivetted together in the upper left corner. The top sheet is illustrated with a line drawing of the dinghy accompanied with detailed set-up and sailing instructions for this relatively complex multi-man vessel. The reverse side has a key map and the remaining 9 sheets contain 18 separate sea charts covering Iceland, Norway, Norway West, Faero Islands, Norway S.W., Irish Channel, English Channel, Spain, France (South), Adriatic, Gibraltar, Algeria, Greece & Tripoli, Anatolia & Egypt, Morocco, Cape Verde I & Senegal. Each prepared by the Sea Rescue Drawing Office and taken from map series GSGS 4080.
    The type Q was 16' long dinghy with a pointed bow and rounded stern, equipped with a 16' high twin sectional telescopic mast accomodating a mainsail and smaller foresail.

Some further info: The Type ‘Q’ Sailing Dinghy | Bodleian Map Room Blog
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

An interesting little book titled ‘The Jungle Hiker’, produced by the RAF in Ceylon in 1944. It is filled with general survival advice written in a quite a jovial style along with some wonderful illustrations.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738