Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Article about: Very neat addition to your collection, fine maps indeed. All you need to find is a slight variation and then it is impossible to part with! I will be posting a very rare MI-9 German Identity

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

AAF Map C-47 and C-48
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Default Re: Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!

Bartholomew map K1 Cyrenaica and K2 Morocco and Tripoli
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

I have acquired a much better example of Sheet A/B of the 43 Series. It is shown alongside my previous example and the amount of fading is clearly evident.
    The maps are allegedly the same scale and overlap, however, as can be seen in the attached images it's not perfect!

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

Another 'tissue' map. This one covers ERITREA. I think there must have been a large unissued stock of these as they are quite common and the cheapest of the 'tissue' maps

A plastic/Bakelite General Service button compass. To use it you dangle it from a piece of thread and it will point North (hopefully!). As you can see this one is black, they also come in brown.

An unusual little dice that I had to buy! The dice is hollow and the '6' can be removed to allow access to a small 'hole/void' inside. Per Ardua Libertas (the MI9 book) shows a selection of the games and equipment sent to P.o.W camps. Among the items shown is a Backgammon set which, although not very clear in my pictures, contains a number of dice. Per Ardua Libertas also shows a small selection of the compasses made, as can be seen from my pictures the 'hole/void' would appear to be the right size to hold the smallest of the escape compasses that MI9 made.

Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!   Escape and Evasion / Survival aids - Silk maps and Escape Compasses + more!  

A mint unissued 'tissue' map of the Mediterranean. It is map H2 and is shown alongside the silk version.

I bought myself another 'Zones of France' map. This one is printed on silk and other than some very faint marks is in near mint condition. My original plan was to sell the other silk map but I like the fact that it has the small printing error so I think I'll end up keeping all three!

Not quite escape and evasion but handy none the less!

Attached Images Attached Images

A British carrier pigeon leg capsule.

Amongst the usual communications usage of the pigeons (from the Army at the front line to being dropped to the SOE / Resistance), RAF bomber crews regularly carried carrier pigeons in case they ditched into the sea. They can be seen in their bright yellow carrying cases in these wartime images.

Below is an interesting link about wartime pigeons and those who were awarded the Dickin Medal (The Dickin Medal was awarded for any animal displaying conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during World War II and its aftermath).

The Royal Pigeon Racing Association | Pigeons in War

Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast