Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Fake maroon berets bonanza, can you spot them? Quiz time!

Article about: Guys, a couple of maroon berets were auctioned over the past few weeks on our favourite site. These are either: a) complete rubbish or, b) genuine post-war berets with a fake wartime date st

?

Fake RSR beret No1., £205.99.

Fake RSR beret No2, it can be yours for £350 later today.

?

Compton maroon beret from 1945.

Compton did make maroon berets, just not in WW2. The only examples I know of are from 1955 and 1964.

?

Genuine Belgium SAS maroon beret from WW2, sold for GBP 84.99.

It's complete rubbish.
    I feel sorry for the buyer. No I don't.

The SAS is a really poor attempt, must have been bought by a complete newbie.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The beret from post #39 has been relisted, it now sold for £341.33.

Quote by LucN View Post
    The beret from post #39 has been relisted, it now sold for £341.33.
    His descriptions allows little room to return it as he never says it is original, just maker marked and dated without saying they are original period markings.......

A fool and their money!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I'm sorry, but I am that fool. I was hoping it was real but after a chat with a collector from Canada it was thrown out of the window. On the plus side I put a request in with ebay stating it was a fake with pictures of a real one and they excepted this. It has been returned and awaiting a full refund. Now I know that I am not the first person to buy this and return it, a little chat will follow. I cant stand being ripped off by a con man.

?

I'm sorry to hear that you bought the beret, I hope you will get a full refund without any problems.

You may want to read Steve's wonderfully detailed thread on WW2 British berets. It has an abundance of information about various manufacturers.

?

I have decided to stop adding items to this thread. I believe my point is clear: there is a lot of rubbish out there so buyer beware! There is a wealth of detailed information to be found on this forum and with a reasonable effort everyone can learn how to spot a genuine beret.

However, I do not want to sneak out without sharing a suitable grand finale.

I'm sure that the label is genuine, but it is taken from a Service Dress uniform. The faker has not even bothered to re-use the old stitch holes.

The name of the seller will sound familiar to some of you: Andy Beal from Nottingham. He used to trade on ebay as military-bargains-uk and milstoreuk. He also has a webshop Spandau militaria.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake maroon berets bonanza, can you spot them? Quiz time!   Fake maroon berets bonanza, can you spot them? Quiz time!  

This is bad, 22 SAS wasn't even formed in 1944.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast