Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help on jacket ID

Article about: Hello my name is Scott and I am new to the forum I picked this jacket up at a local auction and wondered if anyone might have a clue as to when and who might have worn it? I have to assume i

Default Help on jacket ID

Hello my name is Scott and I am new to the forum I picked this jacket up at a local auction and wondered if anyone might have a clue as to when and who might have worn it? I have to assume it was WWII and Airborn ...

Bamanut

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Default Re: Help on jacket ID

Looks like a WWII Ike Jacket with vietnam war insignia. Ive seen a few for sale by me, and wonder if they were acceptable dress wear then or just post war civilian modifications.

Default Re: Help on jacket ID

Hi Scott, and welcome to the forum!

This looks like an M1950 version? Check inside the pockets for a QM label. The stock label can usually be found in the right breast pocket if it is an M50. The real distinctive features which show the difference between an M44 and an M50 are all out of shot:

Shoulder strap ends
    Waist band adjustments
    Cuffs

M-1944:
    Label reads as: Jacket, Field, Wool, OD
    Pattern date 5/44 or Pattern date 11/44
    QM Tag located in right interior pocket

Postwar Ike Jackets M-1946
    Label still reads as: Jacket, Field, Wool, OD
    Pattern date 1946
    QM Tag located in right interior pocket
    Visually similar to the wartime jackets but are 1-2" shorter and are trimmer fitting. Intended more as Garrison dress as opposed to a dual use item.

M1950 Ike Jackets
    Labeled as: Jacket, Field, Wool, OD or Jacket, Wool, OD, M-50
    Same 18-oz OD33 wool as the previous jacket.
    Tag located in the right breast pocket
    Significantly different. Very close/tight fitting. Epaulettes sewn down at tips (vs buttons on prior versions); straight sleeves (vs buttoned cuffs on earlier versions); no interior pockets; no buttons to close pockets; further shortened

The insignia on the one shown, as already stated for the rank stripes, is 1960's vintage and by then these jackets were out of date. Most likely added for fun/fancy dress wear or the like.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!