Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with m42 reinforced jump jacket

Article about: Hi all, i was looking for a m42 jump jacket and i found this one. The seller says that he bought it in france. Inside there's written mcdowell g 541 and he belives that g 541 was the soldier

Default Help with m42 reinforced jump jacket

Hi all,
    i was looking for a m42 jump jacket and i found this one. The seller says that he bought it in france. Inside there's written mcdowell g 541 and he belives that g 541 was the soldier unit but actually 541st pir never seen action in france although some members of the regiment were sent as replacements for the 82nd and 101st airborne. The jacket is reinforced only on the sleeves and in an unusual pattern. On the shoulder there are evidence of sewing but i think they were made by a reenactor except for the airborne tab (you can check it out from the photos)
    i'd buy a combat used jacket, like this one seems to be, but could this one be so?
    Help with m42 reinforced jump jacketHelp with m42 reinforced jump jacketHelp with m42 reinforced jump jacketHelp with m42 reinforced jump jacket

?

Default Re: Help with m42 reinforced jump jacket

I am not sure about the story on this one material looks odd no tags on it

That is a question for a airborne expert of 101 Mark Bando at website Trigger time 101st history and forum he could answer it in a minute I don't have his link but trigger time 101 is it. timothy

?

From the original reinforced jackets I've seen, and I've seen a few this one just doesn't seem right. A few more photos detailing the makers label, zippers and poppers would be useful.

As for the reenforcing to the arms I've never seen that type and wasn't common place for either 82nd or 101st Rigger units. Can you describe the type of material its made from? Some individuals did have the odd variation to the rigger modifications, such as white web tape was used occassionally and can think of an officer in the 507th PIR (I think) whos jacket was reenforced like that around the pockets at least.

There were also some 504th PIR troopers who volunteered to jump into Normandy to assit the Pathfinder Teams and they had leather reenforced patches on the knees and arms, but that would make the jacket amazingly rare!

yeah not very common at all this type, the D day M42 uses tent canvas for the reenforcements.. this a individuals type job

?

Very odd reinforcements. Never seen one like this before.

Actually, the Mcdowell G541 is a laundry mark, it is supposed to contain the first letter of your last name, and the four last digits of your serial number. I wonder if it is still possible to research the guy. See if you can find the last digit, or full name, I found a movie-ticket and 2-3 laundry marks/names on mine.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway