Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help with US Airborne Patches, 101st and 82nd

Article about: Sure.........

Default Help with US Airborne Patches, 101st and 82nd

Hello, all!

Recently, I've been on an insignia kick...I think I'd like to put together a small display case of Airborne patches, jump wings and other small items.

I found this patch online for rather cheap so I jumped at the opportunity to own it. I have a return window, so I am comfortable with my purchase... I'm almost positive that it's WWII vintage, I just can't seem to nail down what variant this patch is... 101st AB PATCHES ARE A MINEFIELD!!

What are your opinions?
    Help with US Airborne Patches, 101st and 82ndHelp with US Airborne Patches, 101st and 82nd

These pictures were snapped quickly with my cell phone to generate discussion. I'll high quality shots with my digital camera when I finish work today.

Default re: Help with US Airborne Patches, 101st and 82nd

This is an 82nd AB patch and tab set that I picked up recently, too!

Help with US Airborne Patches, 101st and 82ndHelp with US Airborne Patches, 101st and 82nd

A little lame of me to say... but the stress of my new job has made me sort of reckless with my new purchases. I know I should consult you guys first!!

?

This is a good one definitely ww2 or right after, I dont think this is a variant though good patch

Lol - I just bought one today as well with the tab, but I know it is not WWII just by
    the price. It's uniform removed, likely from the mid-late 1950's or 1960's.
    ( There was a 'green-back' version with a white tongue that sold
    on Ebay a few weeks ago for $515 ! )

The 'snow' on the back is what to look for in a WWII patch, so this is why
    I think your 101st is ok. I believe I saw this one somewhere - was it
    selling for around $9 ?

The 82nd patch and tab are also ok, IMO - I like both patches.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Lol - I just bought one today as well with the tab, but I know it is not WWII just by
    the price. It's uniform removed, likely from the mid-late 1950's or 1960's.
    ( There was a 'green-back' version with a white tongue that sold
    on Ebay a few weeks ago for $515 ! )

The 'snow' on the back is what to look for in a WWII patch, so this is why
    I think your 101st is ok. I believe I saw this one somewhere - was it
    selling for around $9 ?

The 82nd patch and tab are also ok, IMO - I like both patches.........
    Thanks for your response, Steve!

I WISH MINE WAS $9! I got it from Stewart's Military Antiques for $45. Not really cheap in the grand scheme of things...

I originally tried to snipe some patches for cheap on fleabay. However, some guys were bidding like crazy on the few 101st AB patches I saw... a few went for ~$100 or more. In comparison to this... $45 aint half bad.

The 101 looks like a Type 10(scribble eye) to me.These types create a lot of confusion rather post made or not.
    Any other thoughts on it as a scribble eye?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Both look ok the edges of the 101st look a little sketchy, but could just be the bad photo. I saw a white tongue variant of the 101s sell on ebay for well over 2,000 I dont know why anyone would pay that much for a patch...

You need to find a tab for it now, Joe.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    The 101 looks like a Type 10(scribble eye) to me.These types create a lot of confusion rather post made or not.
    Any other thoughts on it as a scribble eye?

Eric
    According to the Eagle Patch Corner website:
    All Type 10's are characterized by a scribble eye-the details of which seem to be rendered with single strands of thread. Since the company which produced these in WW2, continued in production until probably 1968 (when merrowed edge Type 14s were introduced), these types create a lot of confusion. In most cases, unless you have provenance on a particular patch of this type, it is impossible to determine if it was issued during WW2 or much later.
    - - Updated - -

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    You need to find a tab for it now, Joe.........
    Wayyyyy ahead of you. I will be updating this thread as things arrive.

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    Both look ok the edges of the 101st look a little sketchy, but could just be the bad photo. I saw a white tongue variant of the 101s sell on ebay for well over 2,000 I dont know why anyone would pay that much for a patch...
    I've read that tan edges on US insignia are a good sign that they are WWII because these patches were actually made on different colored backing (the tan edge that you say looks sketchy). Post war, they made patches on backing that was the same color as the patch itself or very dark in color.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast