Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting Fighting knife ?

Article about: Picked up this knife this morning on the fea market , the blade looks to be Wilkinson Sword marked , maybe a put together item but what was the blade original use? Thank you for any help

Default Interesting Fighting knife ?

Picked up this knife this morning on the fea market , the blade looks to be Wilkinson Sword marked , maybe a put together item but what was the blade original use?
    Thank you for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Fighting knife ?   Interesting Fighting knife ?  

Interesting Fighting knife ?   Interesting Fighting knife ?  

Interesting Fighting knife ?  

Interesting 🤔.

Hi, It is, from the look of it, a British Army bayonet by Wilkinson that has been cut down and re hilted. Possibly trench art or indeed for use as a fighting or utility knife? Very interesting in any event.
    Regards MR

The blade was definitely made from a socket bayonet but not sure which one, possibly Enfield or Martini Henry?

Thank you for your input , i looked at this being a cut down blade but couldnt find a bayonet with the blood groove on one side and raised blade on the other side

Hi Kradman, No, nor have I? Possibly ground to shape? Strange item!! I have just had another look at the knife and two things crossed my mind and both are probably wrong but I'll mention them anyway. First thought was a tentage spike? Second was a horse tethering spike?? As suggested by Spitace, it could quite easily be a socket bayonet but in my experience they do not have tangs but I suppose a piece of rod could have been welded onto the blade to make a tang????????????????? You have certainly got me guessing!!!!
    Cheers Michael

Looks very home made imo and probably from a very salty relic bayo and fairly recently done looking at the perspex handle.

I hate to be pedantic, honest, but it is a FULLER not a blood groove. If this forum rightly insists we use the correct German terminology we should also use the correct UK terms as well.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you both and yes Jerry you are right sorry should have put Fuller so i am sorry for that ,as for the perspex handle i have had knifes before with handle made of perspex normally taken from Aircraft cockpit perspex , i think the last one i had was made in the middle east for a British Soldier as came in with some 8th army items , As for this one who knows when it was made it does have age but when made we will never know and what the blade started out as again who knows ,

No worries Krad.

As you say, such handles are not knew, I made a poker in school using a similar method, turning it on a lathe using discs of plastic and brass.

Anyone know why Mr Ryan got banned?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

CBH
    ?

On theater made knives, perspex was used as it was a rather exotic material in the 1940's.

Before the postwar plastics boom, now it seems strange to use such material, but you must remember the time frame when made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast