Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've not seen anything like it.

Article about: This popped up on a militaria site on facebook and was curious as to whether its genuine and period?i presume judging by the picture its some sort of maybe US Airborne training Helmet?any id

?

Default Helmet

This is a picture of my Dad on Infantry Day 1945. He was on a War Bond Drive. They would fly around the country and jump two-three times a day on football fields, golf courses, etc selling bonds for the war effort. The helmets were issued in 1942 at Camp Tocoa, Georgia. He used it throughout the war because he liked it.Name:  scan0036.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  66.5 KBName:  scan0075.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  72.2 KB

Default Training helmet

Hi People, If you look at airbornejumpjacket.com there is a training helmet just like this called a Riddell .cheers Paul

Thats correct paul,the Riddel football Helmet was issued first like this one in transparent plastic then later on were painted olive which faded to brown,there's much debate about the chincup rather than the Helmet itself,Riddel apparently made these too before being replaced with the regular chamois type seen on m2 D bale Helmets.if i had a copy of "ww2 paratrooper" then i would have known a whole lot more as these are featured strongly.
    With Regards Jake.

Quote by dixie View Post
    This is a picture of my Dad on Infantry Day 1945. He was on a War Bond Drive. They would fly around the country and jump two-three times a day on football fields, golf courses, etc selling bonds for the war effort. The helmets were issued in 1942 at Camp Tocoa, Georgia. He used it throughout the war because he liked it.Name:  scan0036.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  66.5 KBName:  scan0075.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  72.2 KB
    Great pictures Dixie of your dad,and the Riddel Helmet too looks good on him.............
    With Regards Jake.

?

Canadians also used the "football" style lid for a time.

Dean O
    Canada

?

Default Helmet

This is what my Dad's helmet looks like today. My Dad's friend replaced the chinstrap after the helmet saw many backyard battles.Name:  click, early paratroopers helmet 085.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  55.6 KBName:  click, early paratroopers helmet 081.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  52.1 KBName:  click, early paratroopers helmet 076.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  38.9 KB

?

Very interesting lid! Never seen one like that before. Has the military look in the liner and with the pictures it just ads to it.

?

The plastic airborne training helmet was produced by Riddel.

The center of the inner webbing head support has a large dark leather disk marked :

PARACHUTE HELMET

US ARMY

JOHN T RIDDLE INC

I am not screaming, the inner maker markings are all in caps.

They are rare.
    The last one I handled was a couple of thousand USD and that was a while back.
    I believe that is why they are being reproduced now as anything else that is military and valuable .
    I have never handled a reproduction and am not sure what red flags there may be.
    Tread carefully friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12