Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I've not seen anything like it.

Article about: This popped up on a militaria site on facebook and was curious as to whether its genuine and period?i presume judging by the picture its some sort of maybe US Airborne training Helmet?any id

Default I've not seen anything like it.

This popped up on a militaria site on facebook and was curious as to whether its genuine and period?i presume judging by the picture its some sort of maybe US Airborne training Helmet?any idea's people...............p.s this is the only picture.........sorry if the owners a member here just something you don't see everyday.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I've not seen anything like it.  

MAP
    ?

Well it obviously resembles an early US football helmet. So maybe experimental? Too bad we can't see the picture. Not sure if he is wearing it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

There was a scene in Band of Brothers where they were wearing this type of helmet in training jumps, not sure if they actually did though!...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...helmet&f=false
    It seems that they did wear them!..

So the next question would be whats it worth?priceless I should think,how do you compare this with anything,If this is tied in with 1942 Airborne units,I would think this would have to be a must item to own for any huge Paratrooper fan.......

I think the problem is proving that it was used by the airborne units, if not it's just an old American football lid!...

Thats what i thinking Paul,yes its a genuine most likely pre-war or certainly early 40's football Helmet,no doubting that at all,but like you said Bud how do you connect it to military status,there must be more pictures out there somewhere,someone must know about these items.............

?

This type of helmet was definitely used by the, then fledgling, US Airborne forces. Whether this is one of them is a whole different ball game though (NO pun intended)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

I have a book by Shelby Stanton, US Army Ret'd, on US Army uniforms, originally printed in the late 1970's/early 1980's, If I can find the book, there are some photo's in it that I should be able to scan onto here.

Good stuff Ian,look forward to these images............

I think I saw this one on usmilitaria forum. The vet in the photo is wearing it or one like it.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Correct Marty just about make the sides and chincup out..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast