Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My new man cave ornaments

Article about: Well, being out of a job for a few months I needed something to waste my time on. I decided to make a replica of the late war type Horsa glider instrument panel and steering wheel. These are

?

Default My new man cave ornaments

Well, being out of a job for a few months I needed something to waste my time on. I decided to make a replica of the late war type Horsa glider instrument panel and steering wheel.
    These are based on copies of the original drawings, original pieces from private collections and lots of help from friends in Holland and the UK but some details simply had to be guessed from often poor period pictures.

The steering wheel is made of 3 layers of spruce; each layer consists of 6 straight pieces of wood. Each layer is rotated 20 degrees and each spoke is made out of 2 pieces of spruce.
    The frame that holds the instrument panel is also made out of 3 layers; each layer is made out of 12 straight pieces of spruce. All instruments are original and wartime; the anti-vibration mounts that connect the instrument panel to the frame are probably post-war made but suitable. The nuts and bolts are also modern and these have British thread, not metric! I gave these an aged look with liquid gun blue.
    I still need to order the engraved (speed warning) plates for the instrument panel and top panel, I'm looking into suitable supplyers for this now.

These are the most difficult pieces I have ever made (note I only have hand tools available and no wood working machines apart from an electric jig saw); I must say that I am quite pleased with the results.

My new man cave ornamentsMy new man cave ornaments

?

Steering wheel in progress.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new man cave ornaments  

A credit to you!...

I am impressed! Well done.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

a great job.

Outstanding indeed!

?

Thank you gentemen, it is much appreciated.

Wow that's a great item for the cave!
    Great work. ... now for a full cockpit to sit in and dream.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Very very nice work.