Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Odd Canadian Airborne Cap badge

Article about: Good morning gentlemen I have quite a few Canadian Airborne Cap badges in my collection but this particular badge I find rather perplexing I would not ask for opinions but this one has me sc

?

Default Odd Canadian Airborne Cap badge

Good morning gentlemen I have quite a few Canadian Airborne Cap badges in my collection but this particular badge I find rather perplexing I would not ask for opinions but this one has me scratching my head As I can not find an issued regulation example out there like it to compare it to
    I purchased this badge as part of a lot with a late 1970's Canadian DPM jump smock,webbing ,beret and insignia.
    The badge looks to have been on the beret for years the beret has never had a slider type of badge attached to it before and IMO this is the only badge that has ever been on said beret
    ( 1 ) as all these badges are post war produced after the inception of the regiment in 1968 it should have a slider attached to the back for attaching to the beret.
    ( 2 ) It is at least three times the weight of a regular issued cap badge they are of two piece construction and the backing is considerably heavier.
    There was a badge constructed that was quite similar to these for the Regimental Dress Buckle but all the examples that I have handled are different in construction they are lighter and are flat backed to fit snugly on the dress buckle were as this one has a concave style of construction to the back of the badge .
    Any thoughts and or opinions are welcome

I have been in discussion with some fellow collectors and some X-Airborne service men and the opinion is that it is a limited run private purchase (unauthorized ) example I have only seen two others like it in the last 20 years of collecting the manufacturer is unknown but there is some evidence that they were manufactured by a small company in Montreal Quebec but this is not conclusive and is only a theory at this point.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd Canadian Airborne Cap badge   Odd Canadian Airborne Cap badge  

Odd Canadian Airborne Cap badge   Odd Canadian Airborne Cap badge  

Odd Canadian Airborne Cap badge   Odd Canadian Airborne Cap badge  

Last edited by Mark K; 09-18-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Update information

Default Re: Odd Canadian Airborne Cap badge

Hi Mark,

An almost identical badge as this was produced by the company W. Scully of Montreal, Canada. The difference being the two screw posts were in a horizontal plane and not a vertical one. It also was of two piece construction but the parts were rivetted together whereas yours appears to be spot welded perhaps?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks for taking the time to reply Ned this is the first one with the screw posts in the vertical position I have ever come across of this weight with the concave construction on the back
    Would you perhaps remember where you seen the badge with the screw posts in the horizontal position as I would be interested in viewing it.

Regards Mark K

Hi Mark,

This is not the same one I was referring to earlier, but is almost the same bar the fixing method appears to be of copper wire that's bent over to fix, and it's also made using sterling silver according to the blurb, which wasn't mentioned on the other one I found but cannot now unfortunately!

1 Can Para Bn

Still an interesting comparison though, there must be variations of this cap badge out there.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned the horizontal double screw posts on the officers 1 Can Para Battalion cap badge are well documented ( These are quite rare and are very desirable )
    I believe you are right there must be another one of these variations out there I just have not come across it yet .

Regards Mark K

?

This maybe for the flat brass belt buckle, which was worn with the white plastic belt for Dress.
    Just My Thoughts

Dean O.

?

Thanx for the input Dean this one had me stumped and I agree with your statement in or PM I have never seen one quite like this one before either usually the backs are not concave.

Regards Mark K

I would put it up in the British and Commonwealth badge forum in the Canadian section, someone on there will know, John.

?

Thanks John I shall do that if I find out anything I shall be shur to update the post.

Regards Mark K