MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Oh My.. The Find of the Year!

Article about: Wow !

Default Re: Oh My.. The Find of the Year!

Well, like I said, It needs a good home and someone who honestly collects these items. I would like to get as much as possible so I can give some back to this Vets son who needs it.

Re donations to museums. The National World War II Museum is not a small "provincial" museum it was designated by Congress as America's National World War II Museum in 2003 and is affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution. In 2012, the Museum started a $300 million capital expansion campaign called The Road to Victory... so the likelyhood of it selling collections to stay in the black are remote. Most museums have rotating displays so it is not uncommon that collections are not on permanent display. You could contact them ask them what their collections policy is, they may even purchase collections just as the Imperial War Museum here in Britain does if the collection is unique and fits their collection strategy.

But of course the collection is yours to do with as you wish
    Last edited by StefanM; 01-02-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I called them just to see what they would say, But I was told I would be called back... If its like the govt... I wont be hearing from them.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Re donations to museums. The National World War II Museum is not a small "provincial" museum it was designated by Congress as America's National World War II Museum in 2003 and is affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution. In 2012, the Museum started a $300 million capital expansion campaign called The Road to Victory... so the likelyhood of it selling collections to stay in the black are remote. Most museums have rotating displays so it is not uncommon that collections are not on permanent display. You could contact them ask them what there collections policy is, they may even purchase collections just as the Imperial War Museum here in Britain does if the collection is unique and fits their collection strategy.

But of course the collection is yours to do with as you wish
    Well said! I didn't mean to say that Natl WWII museum would sell off his donation, just that they receive so many items and are such a large institution that it's not outside the realm of possibility that his items would very rarely, if ever, get displayed.

I am actually planning a trip to the National WWII museum with my gf! Very excited to do so.

Bay state militaria has many similar sized groupings for sale. That is a good place to start for price comparison purposes if you must sell the grouping.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Well said! I didn't mean to say that Natl WWII museum would sell off his donation, just that they receive so many items and are such a large institution that it's not outside the realm of possibility that his items would very rarely, if ever, get displayed.

I am actually planning a trip to the National WWII museum with my gf! Very excited to do so.

A friend of mine visited the National WWII Museum in November just gone and was highly impressed!
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Those prices seem kind of low, for something like this 82nd Airborne grouping.

?

Quote by NDShooter View Post
    I am really thinking about keeping it! But, If I have to sell it, it must go as a whole lot. I agree, not a single thing should be sold apart from it. What would something like this be worth?

What are the other patches or the white shirt? Does anyone know?

Thanks!
    I don't have a clue what the white shirt is but if you decide to sell the group let me know.

?

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Assuming you didn't shell out your life-savings for the trunk, which I guess you didn't as you didn't know what was in it in the first place, why not consider donating the trunk and entire contents to the National WWII Museum of New Orleans? As others have said it is rare to find such a complete collection of a serviceman's history and I am sure a museum would be very interested to acquire such a potentially unique collection.

The paratrooper served his country and think what a great service it would also be to share his memory with all those thousands that visit the National WWII Museum every year?

Just my opinion
    Museums usually have an abundance of material and sell off their surplus. The WWI museum in Kansas City comes to mind. They use to sell all WWII Items that were donated to them.
    Neither does donating to a museum assure that the group will be kept together. Trained and ran a museum for 3 years.

?

Quote by NDShooter View Post
    Thats why I would have to make sure something like this was used and displayed, before I gave it away.
    It would be silly to give it away.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast