Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on fibre rim para helmet - Canadian

Article about: Hello gentlemen, A little outside my comfort zone of SS and German Helmets as I expand my horizons and work on my Canadian militaria collection. I am very interested in acquiring this helmet

?

Default Opinions on fibre rim para helmet - Canadian

Hello gentlemen,

A little outside my comfort zone of SS and German Helmets as I expand my horizons and work on my Canadian militaria collection. I am very interested in acquiring this helmet.

Would appreciate thoughts on the fibre rim helmet below. Some history - was bought as a Canadian WW2 era para, came with Canadian netting and has 1 Canadian strap 1 Brit. Is the Canadian strap a postwar Canadian Rapid Reaction Force strap? Example shown is purported to be different in detail to the RRF type strap. I now it's been repainted but not the gaudy green used but this is the flat green used wartime (I'm told). I've seen the DR modified helmets this one doesn't bear resemblance, Question is paint a period paint, and was a strap like this ever used by the Canadians wartime? (the strap with the embossed edges)

Thanks in advance for opinions. Not my pics, I do have a few more but this hopefully will suffice.

Cheers

Doug

?

Default Re: Opinions on fibre rim para helmet - Canadian

Hi Doug this may be of some assistance I am always scouring the forum and internet for 1 Can Para items and there is a fairly nice example of this type of helmet shown here on the forum it is owned by Gary J and I know Adrian Stevenson own an example as well I am not shur how to insert a link to the thread on the helmet it is titled(British WW2 Fibre Rim Para Helmet) in the western allies helmets section. the one shown is a Canadian example and would appear to have the same chinstrap and is a BMB 1942.
    I think it is a very fine example of a very rare para helmet and the chin strap is stunning IMO.

Regards Mark K

Doug I do not think the helmet in the thread mentioned above has an embossed edge on the strap I should have read your initial post a little closer
    Last edited by Mark K; 08-08-2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Add info

Hi Doug, while a nice helmet in many respects, the issue of the paint is tricky. Personally I would wait for an un-repainted example. It is difficult if not impossible to say when that paint was applied.

The strap I cannot advise on as I have no hands on experience with Canadian issue examples.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

My friend collects WW2 Canadian Parachute Battalion exclusively. Unfortunately I am not able to speak with him at the moment, however, we have discussed helmets in the past and I am positive that he stated that all helmets issued were of British manufacture with all British parts and marks any helmets with any Canadian parts or markings have been altered post war (You occasionally see helmets marked with the Canadian acceptance stamp purporting to be wartime helmets). I think (although I maybe wrong!) that they were issued these British helmets on arrival in the U.K. and those who trained 'stateside' were issued with US M1 helmets for training puposes only.

?

The hollow rivets on the straps (for adjustment) are different on the left and right strap.
    The kind I would expect to see are like the type on the upper attached image.
    ... I have the feeling that the strap with the fully rounded back securing face might possibly be a modern copy.
    .. Check the thicknesse's of the left and right strap, and also the flexibility (floppyness).

Gary J.

- - Updated - -

This one (lower picture) MIGHT be a repro strap ... note the different type hollow rivets.
    I personally have not seen another example of this type of rivet used on the leather straps of a para helmet. (Fibre rim or later).
    Attached Images Attached Images Opinions on fibre rim para helmet - Canadian  Opinions on fibre rim para helmet - Canadian 

I noticed your wanted ad Doug, glad you found a potential The similarities to a FJ helmet are striking, did they just directly copy it after Crete etc?

?

Thanks for all the opinions gentlemen. It's much appreciated. Andy I am afraid I do not know the answer to that question of the design origin, sorry.

I also think this was modified post war for use by the Canadian Rapid Reaction Force hence the Canadian strap ( I am sure it's not a repro strap ).

Considering the trade I am offering - a dead mint published vet acquired SS M 42 helmet - any takers out there ;-) - I will wait for a one look example.

Cheers and thanks

Doug