Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...

Article about: Hello Again! More pics... Best regards Emil

?

Default Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...

Hello All!

I have found this British Airborne Radio Jeep here in Sweden...

I have started to make it like it would have been in WW2...

Here are a marking on the rear on the rearpanel corner
    Its on the sand paint... Brown with number 66 on it.

I will paint this Jeep olive drab, but where do i put the 66 on then?
    Sombody know something of this Jeeps?
    I do need some pictures from inside of Ab Jeeps... Where do i put the footman loops on the seat frames?
    And some pictures from rear would be great!
    Best regards

Emil Bruce
    Sweden

?

Default Re: Orginal British Airborne Radio Jeep...

More pics...

Best regards

Emil

Emil, you need to buy a couple of books. There are quality reprints of original
    technical manuals and parts lists, as well as 'The All American Wonder'
    volumes 1 and 2. They are available from the U.S.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot out there on vehicle markings,
    so it's best to study period photographs.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hello Steve!

I have all american blunder 1 and 2...
    I have found the best book of British AB Jeeps... British Airborne Jeeps 1942-1945 Modifications and markings , Rob Van Meel
    But in that book there are bad picures in... difficult to see in detail.
    Thanks!
    Best regards

Emil

Airborne jeeps with a brown backing to the numbers were jeeps of the Airlanding Brigade,94 Brigade HQ, 67 senior A/L Bn. 68 2nd. A/l Bn. 69 junior A/L/ Bn. I have not found as yet any 66 on brown background. I am curious when you say you found the jeep in Sweden when it has a British registration number, John.

Hi Emil, the footman loops for the seats I can help you with, my Jeep had them intact.

I like the contract date plate. Most British Jeeps were sent on Contract Supply Mechanical 2275, my Jeep was too.

The "66" marking is for 12th Airlanding Battl The Devonshire Regt. (Hi John, see British Military Markings 1939-45 by P Hodges & MD Taylor) They were part of British 6th Airborne Div. You need to put this back in the same place.

Congrats!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hello John!

Yes it does have the British plates still on it. Last owner did use them to drive at his farm here in Sweden... In case of the Police would be looking...
    The Jeep did came to Sweden in 1956.
    I did get some information on g503:
    66 on a brown square was used by the 12th Devons (gliderborne air landing batallion) in the 6th Airborne Division
    The brigade was withdrawn from Germany at the end of May 1945 and was sent, together with the rest of 6th Airborne Division, to British Palestine to provide internal security. Following the arrival of the 1st Parachute Brigade, however, the 6th Airlanding Brigade was no longer needed there and was returned to normal infantry duties, renamed the 31st Independent Infantry Brigade.
    Best Regards

Emil

?

Thanks Ade!

If possible send some pictures of inside of your Jeep to my email adress: emil.bruce@spray.se
    Do you have a drawing for the footman loops on seats? And where to find some (14) to buy?
    I have a British company that are making me the fender baskets, rear basket with ariel, A frame for rear, shortnded bumper in front. The support for the spare wheel in front of grille. and some other parts. Will also try to make/buy the passenger seat clamp(i have the holes for it) for holding the passenger seat in place.
    Best regards

Emil

The original footman loops on the seats are actually "home made" constructed from a bent bit of steel rod welded in place.

I don't have any pics in detail, I will have to make some come the better weather.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hello!

Thanks Ade! That will be great!!!
    I will try to make them before i will send my seats to a sandblaster company.
    Best regards

Emil

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast