Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Original M42 Paratrooper jump jacket?

Article about: Hi everyone, Recently, I came across what claims to be an original m-42 jump jacket. I don't know the general going price and rarity of these jackets are now compared to 10 years ago,(2006 i

weekenddumpies08
    ?

Default Original M42 Paratrooper jump jacket?

Hi everyone,

Recently, I came across what claims to be an original m-42 jump jacket. I don't know the general going price and rarity of these jackets are now compared to 10 years ago,(2006 is when I sort of stopped collecting and reenacting)

but it was my dream to have one in my possession as a high school student, so I am very tempted.

It is described as original jacket, and it appears to be one. However I have my doubts in my own judgement as I have never touched or seen an original example in person,

and with my limited knowledge I might be missing important points to determine the originality of the jacket.

I have other ww2 US original uniforms in my collection, and when I compare the oxidation on the snap buttons, and zipper leads me to believe this could perhaps be an authentic jacket.

It doesn't seems to be artificially aged.

The main zipper is Crown and the Talon, but I read that Conmar and Serval were more commonly used.

Snap buttons are scovill.

Jacket still retains its has the QM tag, but it's well worn.

The armpit vents are made out of metal, and I believe no reproduction companies makes jacket with metal armpit vents?

Also the size of the jacket is 36L and I believe reproduction companies only sticks to R, no S or L.

I am not sure about the SSI, but the chevron and 48 stars american flags looks pretty genuine.

I asked the seller about the history behind the jacekt and told me that he bought it off an old british man who was a paratrooper in the 50s and got the jacket off the original owner.

I don't think that really helps with validation, but I thought I'd add it here.

What do you guys think? The price is pretty fair for what I think, but it's a decent amount of money for me to sepnd.

Any input would help.

Cheers

Tai

My gut says repro. I do not like the zipper much and the wear does not seem consistent. I am by no means an expert on Jump jackets so I hope more experience comes along to help you.
    John

weekenddumpies08
    ?

Thank for your input john. Much appreciated. What throws me off at the moment is the size 36L stamp on the jacket. Not sure if that is the correct stamp style / laundry number.
    I am all ears for any comments about the jacket. Hope more people with more expertise on jump jacket could enlighten me.