Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?

Article about: Hello all, Hope you're doing well. I have the opportunity to buy a 101st Airborne Class A Uniform in a good condition. However my knowledge regarding these US uniforms is limited, therefore

Default Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?

Hello all,

Hope you're doing well.

I have the opportunity to buy a 101st Airborne Class A Uniform in a good condition. However my knowledge regarding these US uniforms is limited, therefore I hope you guys could help me out. According to the seller it is all original, except the lanyard and the two Currahee pins.
    The patch looks like a Type 8, only the Eagles eye differs from the one on Mark Bando's website (where I got the information from), not sure this should be a sign it is a repro? The purpose of these Type 8 patches was to use them on Class 'A' dress uniforms (also according to Mark Bando's website). I have asked for a picture of the label inside the jacket, but according to the seller there is none. But the jacket should be marked by the soldier (M-1130).
    Below the pictures that I have available, hopefully they are clear enough to review:

Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?

Many thanks in advance for your time, advice and expertise!

Kind regards,
    Joe

101st Patch is a repro and as you said its trying to be a Type 8. Attached is an original for reference.

If I was you I'd pass on it. I bet someone doctored this uniform up just to have a 506th item, either for display purposes or to fool a collector. Also the laundry number looks recently scribbled in...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original WW2 US 101st Airborne Class A Uniform?  

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply and advice!
    It looks like a nice uniform and the seller is convinced it is original. So therefore I don't think he's trying to fool a ' fellow'. collector.

Kind regards,

Joe

Ribbons are brand new as well I agree it’s a put together uniform with new made parts.

Hi 08SMLE48 (apologies for using your username),

Thank you for your information regarding the ribbons (and uniform).
    What are the signs for you that these ribbons are brand new? Not an expert in this case... So apologies if I miss obvious things in this case.

Many thanks,

Joe

Your just fine Joe. In my opinion the ribbons are just too crisp, bright, and clean. Plus there are no campaign stars on the EAME ribbon. I’m sure if you take the clutches off the back of the ribbon bar you’ll see they are bright brass and modern manufactured.

Joe,

The fact that the lanyard and the 506th DUIs were not original to the uniform as well as the seller stating that he is convinced it is an original are two red flags for me..

Personally I would need better photos of the back sides of the wings, the CIB, the ribbon bar, the collar brass and close up photos of the 101 patch...just to start...

The parts of the uniform are put together (the garrison cap has a different serial number as opposed to the number in coat), the 101st patch looks to have a merrow edge on both patch and tab which is clearly post WW2, the ribbon bar looks to be post WW2 as well..
    Keep in mind that when the mini series Band of Brothers came out,, (2001) every one and his brother grabbed stripped uniforms and insignia and doctored up uniforms for reenacting purposes and for the purpose of deceiving those who haven't done their homework/research... Now folks are still trying to sell off creations as originals nearly 20 years later,,,, the mindset being that the Band Of Brothers era has quieted down and not many collectors would now suspect that what is currently selling on the market is going to be reproduction, but guess what, it still is happening and with more reason now to be suspicious of uniforms and items being sold...

Without any rock solid provenance directly from a veteran for example I would be suspicious of anything being sold as original... Even from a "fellow collector".... plus the fact that he is convinced its original without any reasons to back his claim is enough of a red flag for me....

There are too many fellow collectors who prey on the gullible…

Do research and ask tons of questions before pulling the trigger on an item...

What is the asking price for this uniform.. The price alone will speak volumes in my opinion....

Smitty

Hello Smitty,

Thank you for your extensive explanation. Enough for me to work on...
    However, i was doubting. Therefore I posted the pictures on this website just to be sure..

So thank you for your time and advice.

Kind regards,

Joe

Joe,

You are most welcome.. You are to be commended for asking questions and getting feedback before making an investment..

Named provenanced uniforms from the 506th will bring a hefty price. Keep in mind too that there were many men who served in the 506th and just because they weren't portrayed in the Ambrose book or mini series Band of Brothers their uniforms will also bring a decent price.,, BUT there needs to be provenance to prove they (the men as well as the uniform) say they are who they are...

Smitty

Would like to know who this seller is or from what website...

We may be able to tell you the reputation of said collector...

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast